Database migration - Oracle to SQL Server

Michael England February 28, 2012

Hi,

We are looking at migrating our JIRA database from Oracle to SQL Server. I have made a script to create all of the tables present in Oracle in SQL Server and have copied the data in through a database link for most of the tables.

However, I am having an issue with copying the data from the tables with the CLOB data type over to SQL Server. It is extremely slow to select this data compared to tables with varchar2(255) data types for example. Has anyone had any experience with this issue?

Aside from the tables, would there be any other concerns when migrating the database to a different platform? For example other database objects?

Please note: We found the XML backup to be too slow and the migration would not have been able to complete out of hours. The JIRA version is 4.3.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

3 answers

0 votes
Alex Nelson April 24, 2012

We are hoping to do the same as SQL Server is much less expensive for us. Any guidance would be appreciated.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2012

I think you need to make the XML backup fast... it's the safest way to do it. What part of the XML dump/restore method is slow?

On my oracle instance xml backup is excruciatingly slow, but I can copy the data quite quickly from the production oracle server to oracle XE on a workstation using data pump. Then run a jira instance pointing to this oracle XE, and I can get the XML backup quite quickly.

Suggest an answer