Database entry of ticket in backlog

Gadi Glogowski December 10, 2019

Hello, I am working with the JIRA API in Power BI.

I want to show all tickets that are in currently in the backlog for a specific board. I've noticed that if a ticket gets moved to a sprint and then back to backlog, we get a record for the time the ticket was in the sprint but I can't easily identify the ticket being back in backlog by looking at the sprint information.

Is there a simple way for me to find out which tickets are currently in the backlog? Is there a field that can easily identify the ticket in backlog.

Thanks for the help!

1 answer

0 votes
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2019

The items on the backlog are defined by those not in Active Sprints, so you can only really look at the Sprint field to determine what's on the Backlog.

This is from the documentation:

An issue will only be visible in the Scrum backlog if:

• the issue isn't a subtask,
  • the issue matches the board's saved filter, 
  • the issue's status maps to one of the board's columns (but not the Done column), and
  • there's at least a status being mapped to the right-most column. 
    For example, if you have the columns To Do, In Progress, and Done, ensure that you have a status mapped to In Progress at least. If you map all the statuses to the first (To Do) column, you won't see any issues in the Scrum backlog.

Do you know which field in the API tells you if the ticket is not in Active Sprint?

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2019

You would need to look at all the sprint info for the Board, and compare to the sprint your issue is allocated to.

This may be of use: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-get-all-sprints-in-project-using-JIRA-REST-API/qaq-p/525506

I am only interested in a specific board. So I wanted to know if a ticket is in the backlog for that board.

Suggest an answer