Data Integrity vs Merge Versions

RAMMY237 July 21, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Managing versions

Hello,

Me and my colleague are admins of some Project which has lots of similar Versions meant to be the single one, but due to they were migrated from other bugtracker where things were messed up, we currently have what we have.

I have noticed Merge Versions which looks like exactly what we need to have one meaningful Version for the set of existing Versions.

We are just a little bit nervous about data integrity, Versions are used in lots of fields like: Affects Version/s, Found In Release, Target Release, Resolved In Release, Tested in Release, Build/Release Problem Introduced.

Will all of them get updated correctly once we merge, for example, 4 Versions into 1? No data will be lost in any of the above mentioned fields on various tabs?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2016

Yes, if you have versions Alice, Aliss and Alis, and you merge them all into Alice, then any issue with Aliss and Alis on them will have that version replaced with Alice.  The fields you're using are not that important, they're drawn from one list in one place, and you'll have merged the three into one.

The only data you'll lose is the references to Aliss and Alis.

RAMMY237 July 22, 2016

Thanks for your answer.

Meanwhile, I've tried on one release and all "Target Release" and "Resolved In Release" fields are empty now...

Not sure about Tested in Release (none of updated items had this field).

The following were updated to the new value successfully: Affects Version/s, Fix Version/s, Found In Release.

Is this a software bug or expected behavior for some reason?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2016

It sounds like your "target release" and "resolved in release" fields are not standard version pickers.

RAMMY237 July 22, 2016

Here's how it was: I've created the new Version called "6.00.00", then merged "6.0.0.0", "6.00.0.0", "6.00.00.0" into it.

The fields rounded in orange became empty after the merge (btw, I described what happened in my above comment).

What I did wrong?

JIRA_Versions_Merge_cut.png

Suggest an answer