Data Center and Shared Storage Location

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2019

Just a dumb question I guess but ;

After the shared locations are configured for all JIRA nodes - will the following directories under local home directories of each node get updated as we work or they stop getting updated ?

• data
  • plugins
  • logos
  • import
  • export

Or am I understanding the concept of shared server wrong ? Will new data, plugins, logos start getting updated directly in the remote shared server or does the local directories still get updated and gets synced with the remote shared server ?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2019

Jira needs those directories for the local node data.

Shared storage is too slow and complex-to-negotiate for a lot of the data each node needs to hold, so you can't just slap everything into shared storage.  A lot of data needs to remain local to each node.

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2019

Hi Nic,

I need a little advice of your on my NFS configuration.

1) NFS Server

2) Node 1

3) Node 2

So the above three are my three locations

I created a folder /jirashared in NFS Server - verified it at two nfs clients ( node 1 and node2) using show mount and and it displays the two nodes under export list

I copied the directories /data, /export /import and so on to the nfs server under /jirashared.

But what I don't seem to understand is how to map my local directories ( data import export and so on ) in these individual nodes  ? Does mentioning the shared home location alone connect nodes and its local data with shared home in nfs server ?

Or do I also need to mount folders under /mnt with nfs server shared directory ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2019

The usual way to do this is to set the Jira data directory (I usually call this <jira home>) to something in the same way we do for Jira Server.  You do this on every node.

In my example, I'll go with /data/jira, under which you create /data/jira/jirashared - that jirashared is the default.  On the first node, you then mount (say) nfs://myNFSserver/jirashared at /data/jira/jirashared.  This causes the NFS mount to take the place of the directory.

Then you copy the directories you mention (although you have already done this).  Once you've got the directories in NFS, you mount nfs://myNFSserver/jirashared over /data/jira/jirashared on all the other nodes.

You could do this with links as well - tell each node their /data/jira/jirashared is a link to /jirashared mounted elsewhere in the file system.

I don't work with NFS a lot, so this is completely from memory, but as a superuser, you need something like

mount NFSServer:/exported_jirashared /data/jira/jirashared

although you will need to do all that stuff about permissions and installing nfs clients on the nodes too.

Like Vickey Palzor Lepcha likes this
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2019

Thanks Nic - I have achieved my goals for now.

I have tested - attachments show up at both ends ( node 1 and 2 ) - deleting from either of the nodes deletes from both ends.

Nic - is there a way to skip directories that are a part of shared directory or add more if we wish to ?

My shared folders seem to have been picked up automatically.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2019

Yes, once mounted in the right place, the shared directory will do all the work for you.

You must NOT move any other folders into there (although you could put other stuff in there, for other applications, that would make your Jira install look very odd and will cause problems if there are any name clashes such as another application having an /export directory in its share). 

Each node continues needs its local storage as well.

You must NOT skip directories either - Jira DC needs the directories named in the docs, you must share all of them.

Like Vickey Palzor Lepcha likes this

Suggest an answer