Data Center alternative for Quick Subtasks for JIRA?

Repano Dveb January 10, 2022

Hi,
Can you please suggest an alternative for Quick Subtasks for JIRA plugin for data center? We have used this plugin in past on jira server and this came in very handy.

4 answers

2 votes
David Mayer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2023

Hi @Repano Dveb

I have not found a replacement plugin but even though it isn't supported the server version still works as of now for Data Center. The developer does not seem to have an interest in picking it back up.

S Sarandis February 2, 2023

Hi @David Mayer , @Repano Dveb 

I have same question for our Project Management Software v8.20.11. 

Stefan Glase November 17, 2023

Hello @S Sarandis,

I am the author of Multiple Subtasks for Jira and I would like to recommend it to you. It is tested and certified for Jira Data Center.

Cheers,

Stefan

2 votes
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2022

Hi @Repano Dveb ,

I would go for Automation for Jira. It has very wide usage and you can configure a lot of things including creation of sub-tasks under different circumstances.

Colin_McDermott March 12, 2023

Automation for Jira is a very different app. Yes it can add subtasks, but it cannot make a dropdown menu for Subtasks. 

1 vote
Stefan Glase February 18, 2023

Hi @Repano Dveb,

I am the author of Multiple Subtasks for Jira and I would like to recommend it to you. It is tested and certified for Jira Data Center.

I created this plugin because we did not want to loose the functionality of Quick Subtasks  for Jira when it stopped working with Jira 9.

My plugin uses a slightly different syntax that shows more robustness against the typical pitfalls of the old syntax.

Cheers,
Stefan

Venkata Rao Nadigadda November 15, 2023

Hello @Stefan Glase , 

Thank you for Multiple subtasks for Jira , But in this plugin only project or personal and project templates are implemented. 

Their is no Global level set templated same like as Quick Subtasks for JIRA. 

How we can use templates in Global level. ??

Cheers, 

Venkata. 

Stefan Glase November 17, 2023

Hello @Venkata Rao Nadigadda,

thank you for your reply. Global templates are not yet available. I added a feature request to implement them so this feature can make it into one of the next releases.

Cheers,

Stefan

Venkata Rao Nadigadda December 22, 2023

Hello @Stefan Glase , 

What was RESI-API for jira to create Multiple subtasks through java code ??

we are using Jira 9.4.10 version

can get any where the documentation ??

Regards, 

Venkata. 

Stefan Glase December 29, 2023

Hello @Venkata Rao Nadigadda,

Multiple Subtasks for Jira uses the Java API and not the REST API to interact with Jira and create subtasks.

With all versions greater than 23.11.0 (see changelog) of Multiple Subtasks for Jira now global templates are also available!

Best regards,
Stefan

0 votes
David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2024

Getting an app approved for data center these days may be a bit too onerous for a hobbyist app developer. Might be the reason why Quick Sub-Tasks it's no longer listed for download (but an archive is still available here). We're still using it today on Data Center. If you attempt to run this in JDK 17+, you may get this error:

Caused by: org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate [com.hascode.plugin.quick_subtasks.repository.template.BasicUserTemplateRepository]: Constructor threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.reflect.InaccessibleObjectException: Unable to make field private java.lang.String java.text.AttributedCharacterIterator$Attribute.name accessible: module java.base does not "opens java.text" to unnamed module @22781f40
at org.springframework.beans.BeanUtils.instantiateClass(BeanUtils.java:224)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.SimpleInstantiationStrategy.instantiate(SimpleInstantiationStrategy.java:117)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.instantiate(ConstructorResolver.java:311)
... 19 more
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InaccessibleObjectException: Unable to make field private java.lang.String java.text.AttributedCharacterIterator$Attribute.name accessible: module java.base does not "opens java.text" to unnamed module @22781f40
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.AccessibleObject.checkCanSetAccessible(AccessibleObject.java:354)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.AccessibleObject.checkCanSetAccessible(AccessibleObject.java:297)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Field.checkCanSetAccessible(Field.java:178)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Field.setAccessible(Field.java:172)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.FieldDictionary.buildMap(FieldDictionary.java:148)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.FieldDictionary.fieldsFor(FieldDictionary.java:76)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractAttributedCharacterIteratorAttributeConverter.readResolve(AbstractAttributedCharacterIteratorAttributeConverter.java:83)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractAttributedCharacterIteratorAttributeConverter.<init>(AbstractAttributedCharacterIteratorAttributeConverter.java:52)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.extended.TextAttributeConverter.<init>(TextAttributeConverter.java:33)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.setupConverters(XStream.java:700)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.<init>(XStream.java:456)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.<init>(XStream.java:381)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.<init>(XStream.java:336)
at com.hascode.plugin.quick_subtasks.repository.template.BasicUserTemplateRepository.<init>(BasicUserTemplateRepository.java:29)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:77)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstanceWithCaller(Constructor.java:499)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:480)
at org.springframework.beans.BeanUtils.instantiateClass(BeanUtils.java:211)

A workaround is to add these arguments in your setenv.sh:

--add-opens=java.base/java.text=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.desktop/java.awt.font=ALL-UNNAMED

Suggest an answer