Dashboard, how do I hide the dashboard selector on the left

the selector for

https://xxxx.jira.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa on the left side of the screen takes up ~100 pixels wide by the height on the broswer.. Incredibly wasteful considering the dashboards dropdown in the header has the same options.

Can I hide the selector and make the dashboard go full wide, like it does when I only have 1 favorite dashboard?

6 answers

1 accepted

Every day I get the following e-mail:

---

The following questions of yours are still unresolved:

Please consider one of the following actions:

• Accept an answer (click the grey check mark)
  • Answer your own question, then accept your answer (find the 'Answer my own question' link underneath your question)
  • Edit your question for clarification
  • Add a comment for more information from an existing answer
  • Close the question, if it's invalid

Please be a good Answers citizen!

Accepting answers on resolved questions earns you Karma points, and increases the chances that Answers' top contributors will answer your future questions. If your question is still legitimate and you'd like to await further answers, please do!

---

This is VERY annoying, considering there is no valid "answer" to my question.. It's a valid question, there is no answer, and it does not need clarification.. It needs Atlassian to do some development work to fix it.. So WTF am I to do?

After 6 months of these e-mail reminders.. I'm freaking annoyed with answers.. there is no good answer to this question..

This code works well for me on Jira 5.1 in Firefox, Chrome and IE 9:

AJS.$(window).load(function() {
  AJS.$("ul.vertical").remove();
  AJS.$("#dashboard").attr("class", "dashboard");
});

I've placed the code in in the existing <script> tag in file "secure/views/dashboard.jsp". No Jira restart is required, just refresh the page. Changes will be lost after Jira upgrade.

And yes, it's also for standalone Jira only. But works better than what @Jamie Echlin suggested.

I mis-read what you said here, thought it said that Jamie's solution was better so kept trying to use his...

Anyway, I found that if you use this code in Jira 6.2, when you click on Manage Dashboards, the navbar on the left that has the links for Popular, Search, Favorite etc is hidden as well.

So this code fixes that:

if (AJS.$("#filter_type_table").length == 0)
});

Actually the above script also hides the navbar in the Manage Filters page. So this new script below should only affect the Dashboard screen:

if (AJS.$("#dashboard").length &gt; 0)
  {
  }
});

By adding this code snippet to a <script> element in the global announcement banner (Administration -> System -> Announcement Banner), the favorites list is hidden without any direct file modification.

Well, at least in 6.3 standalone

See my replies above, David, my last one dated Jun 23 at 10:59pm fixes the problem of favourites being hidden; only the dashboard nvabar will be hidden using this last version of the script.

Does this hide the dashboard navbar locally only, or is this a Jira-wide change? It would seem that going through the announcement banner might be jira-wide, but a script would be a local-only? Thanks!

Timothy, placing the script into the dashboard.jsp (as I initially suggested) affects only the dashboard page, obviously. I haven't tried to place it in the Announcement Banner, so can't comment on that.

Atlassian is very good at twiddling the icons and dashboard pie chart cosmetics, but not so great with actual functionality. Alas.  Alassian.

However, I have a sort-of solution that may work for you.  Even if you're OnDemand.

1) Write down all of your dashboard favorites

2) Then, delete all of your favorites, except for one that you use 90% of the time.

3) Then, go into Administration -> System -> Announcement Banner

4) Use the "link" markup to create hard-links to all of your (former) favorite dashboards

5) Voila.  No leftnav favorites.  All of them linkable as a new top nav

This only works if you have an org where you are a "JIRA Runner" that needs everyone to use basically the same handful of dashboards.  It's not for everyone!

So... total hack, but it happens to work for my company.

MJD

I rid myself of that column by removing all favorited dashboards so that I now have only one dashboard.

Verify dashboard singularity @

• "Dashboards" > "Manage Dashboards" > "Favorites"
  • "Dashboards" > "Manage Dashboards" > "My"

This is really annoying. Atlassian team should remove this. It's really, really pointless. I agree with you! Woul like to see Atlassian's reply on this.

0 vote

Just a partial answer, but if you put this js somewhere, eg web resource context or announcement banner, it will do most of what you want:

AJS.$("#dashboard ul.vertical").hide()

AJS.$("#dashboard-content").css("position", "static")

It doesn't work quite right though, the frame behind is still in the old position. Also you will need a button/link to bring back the vertical tabs. Really, what they need is a slider like you have in fisheye/confluence.

Oh, this is ondemand? In that case forget my answer.

Yea, on demand, thanks though.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,293 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot