DB Index Fragmentation

Casey Daniell March 22, 2016

I am looking at some perf issues with our JIRA instance and noticed that the fill factor is 100% on our MSSQL box. 

1. Are there any automated jobs to rebuild indexes once they are over a certain level of fragmentation?
  2. If not, is creating an automated index rebuild process supported?
  3. Is creating SQL recommended indexes supported? (Yes, I know the drill on not simply apply every index SQL recommends)

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2016

JIRA is database agnostic - it uses a database driver to talk to the database, but it has no understanding of what the database is behind that.  If you suspect fragmentation or database indexing to be issues, then you need to deal with them on a database level.

Casey Daniell March 22, 2016

Just to clarify, since JIRA is using some bad fill factors, it's acceptable to take some aspects of DB maintenance into my own hand and add a few missing indexes, or to implement DB maintenance plans to rebuild some indexes? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2016

Yes, although do not do it while JIRA is running.

Suggest an answer