Customizing Story Points Field

Emily Sefcik October 22, 2019

I would like to customize the default Story Points field so that it is a drop down menu following the Fibonacci sequence.

Is there any way to do this? 

It seems the locked Story Points field is the only one that feeds into reporting and displays on the issue cards when viewing all issues in aggregate (for example, in the backlog or in the active sprint). Given that, it seems that creating an additional custom field for Story Points does not have the same impact as using the default locked version. However, I cannot determine any way to make this change on the default story points field. 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2019

Correct, the story point field is locked. Your only option would be to create your own custom field, just note that Estimations on a board can only be based on a number field, not a select field.

Emily Sefcik October 24, 2019

Thanks! 

Thayne Munson November 17, 2020

Thanks. 

Thomas Kluge January 6, 2023

@Mikael Sandberg, I am trying to achieve this (story points with a drop-down menu) with Jira Cloud. Creating a custom field based on "Number Field" and setting this as estimation statistics is fine, but how to add the drop-down with the preset values to it?
I tried an approach with a Forge custom field type, but this is apparently not accepted as estimation statistics, see also my post here:
https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/custom-field-to-be-used-as-estimation-statistics/64902

Many thanks for any help!

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2023

Hi @Thomas Kluge,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

This should probably be it's own question and reference this one, but you could do something similar to what @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- mentioned using your Forge script. Another option would be to use automation that copies the value from your drop-down custom field to the story point field.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Estimation fields have to be numeric, it won't work with a select list, even if all the options look like numbers.

Thomas Kluge January 6, 2023

Thanks, @Mikael Sandberg and @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- !

Got it. My Forge app does provide a custom field type which is numeric, as it uses "number" as the data type. Still it is not available for estimation statistics. Could this be a bug in Jira?

Using two fields, one to enter the value, and another one to display it should work. Looks a bit like a workaround to me, and might confuse users.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2023

It might be a bug with the estimate not recognising the field as a number, yes.  I'm not sure though - I don't have an example of a forge app providing a numeric field to play with  and investigate/replicate.

Using two fields can be a pain for the users, but a quick, dirty, and yet helpful trick is to mess with the screens.  Put the select list on create and edit screens, but maybe not view.  Put the calculated one on view, but not create and edit.

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this
Thomas Kluge January 18, 2023

Nic,

thanks! I ended up solving this as you suggested: one selection field and one hidden number field. Synchronization by an event listener in a Forge app. Still surprising that a workaround is necessary for such a central feature (IMHO).

There is a feature request now for using the custom field type directly:

JRACLOUD-80331 

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2019

I've solved this with Scriptrunner - you have your "estimate entry" field as a drop-down, then have a scripted field that reads the value from the field and presents it as a number for the estimation statistic.

Suggest an answer