Customize (exclude) fields from the 'Log Work' dialog box

We're using the time tracking in jira for issues and would like to tailor the 'Log Work' dialog box to include _only_ the following fields:

• Time Spent
  • Remaining estimate - Set to (ONLY)
  • Work Description

and exclude the "adjust automatically", "use original", and "reduce by" choices for remaining estimate.

Anbody know if this can be done? Leaving in the date started or leaving out the work description would be ok too, but we want to encourage / require re-evaluation of remaining work :)

3 answers

1 accepted

I followed your lead here but found the solution by removing the unwanted fields from .../secure/views/isssue/logwork.jsp. I'm not sure why changing the content in the .../worklog-edit.vm you referred to did not affect the rendered screens (even after restart).

The nice thing about changing jsp's is that they re-render on change and no restart is needed.

Modifying the /worklog-edit.vm also did not affect the rendered screens for me, I had to do the .jsp

You may try editing templates/jira/issue/field/worklog-edit.vm and remove the fields you do not need. I don't like this solution, but that's the only I can think of.

It may do the trick - think it will detect the change without a restart? Any way way to preflight it in a sandbox?

I think it will not detect it without restart, so you have two options:

1. Run a test instance using atlas-run-standalone command from the SDK
  2. Take a look here of how to make the changes without restarting JIRA https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/20058/updating-activating-velocity-template-changes-without-jira-restart

Hi there,
I am working on JIRA v7.1.9, and updating the worklog-edit.vm to remove the Work Description field has no effect, even after a restart of the service.
Is there any step I am missing ?
Thank you.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,323 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot