Customize (exclude) fields from the 'Log Work' dialog box

Mark Levitt February 26, 2014

We're using the time tracking in jira for issues and would like to tailor the 'Log Work' dialog box to include _only_ the following fields:

• Time Spent
  • Remaining estimate - Set to (ONLY)
  • Work Description

and exclude the "adjust automatically", "use original", and "reduce by" choices for remaining estimate.

Anbody know if this can be done? Leaving in the date started or leaving out the work description would be ok too, but we want to encourage / require re-evaluation of remaining work :)

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mark Levitt March 31, 2014

I followed your lead here but found the solution by removing the unwanted fields from .../secure/views/isssue/logwork.jsp. I'm not sure why changing the content in the .../worklog-edit.vm you referred to did not affect the rendered screens (even after restart).

The nice thing about changing jsp's is that they re-render on change and no restart is needed.

Ryan Pelletier August 7, 2015

Modifying the /worklog-edit.vm also did not affect the rendered screens for me, I had to do the .jsp

Hauke Hörhold
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2018

I changed the JSP and nothing happens, even after restart.

Doesn't it work anymore now in 2018?

1 vote
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2014

You may try editing templates/jira/issue/field/worklog-edit.vm and remove the fields you do not need. I don't like this solution, but that's the only I can think of.

Mark Levitt March 14, 2014

It may do the trick - think it will detect the change without a restart? Any way way to preflight it in a sandbox?

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2014

I think it will not detect it without restart, so you have two options:

1. Run a test instance using atlas-run-standalone command from the SDK
  2. Take a look here of how to make the changes without restarting JIRA https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/20058/updating-activating-velocity-template-changes-without-jira-restart
0 votes
Patrice Champet September 27, 2016

Hi there,
I am working on JIRA v7.1.9, and updating the worklog-edit.vm to remove the Work Description field has no effect, even after a restart of the service.
Is there any step I am missing ?
Thank you.

Suggest an answer