Custom jira fields for estimates

Avinash Singh November 16, 2018

We have teams that want to have various custom fields to estimate work in different phases in the SDLC.

Example they want fields for Development effort, Testing effort, Deployment Automation effort etc.

I'm not sure how they plan to roll these efforts up into the issue estimation or if they sum the various fields manually to get the issue estimate.

From a agile scrum methodology point of view, I dont agree with this approach. Estimates should include all aspects of the work involved to complete an issue.

Alternatively they should break up their tasks into separate components that they can estimate individually.

What are you guys thoughts ? 

3 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2018

Don't estimate on sub-tasks if you're doing Scrum, it won't work.

Avinash Singh November 18, 2018

Thanks.  Would you support the idea of having custom fields for the various efforts? What will be your approach ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2018

Yep, create numeric custom fields for the various estimates, then I'd use Scriptrunner to add them up for display, search and reporting.

Like Avinash Singh likes this
Avinash Singh November 19, 2018

Thanks. I assume this will be your preference over have an individual task for each part of the work, where you would estimate the work using the native jira functionality ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2018

I would tend to if parts of the work can be done in parallel, but I'd avoid putting estimates on sub-tasks if you're going to do Scrum, because that doesn't work.

Like Dave Liao likes this
0 votes
Avinash Singh November 16, 2018

Do u mean sub-tasks ?

Also do you have automation in place to create these tasks for every issue ?

0 votes
Mesut Yilmazyildirim
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2018

In my company I am handling same requests but I always suggest them to split issues into small tasks. 

Now squads create different tasks for development, analysis or tests. Each task has own estimation. And team can calculate total velocity of the Squad.

Suggest an answer