Custom filter not working on a team-managed project

Sara Machado May 3, 2022

The goal is to use a custom filter to get sub-tasks of a team-managed project visible on the backlog, board or roadmap functionalities.
Since there was no configuration available I have tried a custom filter with the following JQL query:

issuetype in (subTaskIssueTypes())

When I apply the custom filter nothing appears, meaning, no sub-task was found.

I have investigated other threads that suggest these filters and tried to apply other queries and it continues not to work.

In alternative, I looked for a company-managed project and there is a configuration available to allow to select the issue types one would like to include on the "type" standard filter. How can I do that in a team-managed project to avoid setting up the custom filter? If that do not work, how can I setup a custom filter that actually works?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Sub-tasks do not appear in the backlog, as there's no use for them there.  The backlog is the place where you rank stories and other issues that you're then going to see on the board when you put them into a sprint or start work on them.

Sub-tasks are bits of a story, not independent sprint items - you can't rank them outside their story and you don't need to know about them when you're ranking stories or pulling them into sprints.

So, you're not doing anything wrong technically, but that filter won't work for the backlog - that needs to be populated with issues at the story level.

Venkata July 3, 2023

Hi

I agree to your answer to some extent, because in my case I have total 9 sub tasks in a sprint but when I search for JQL : project = Project name AND sprint = Sprint Number AND IssueType = Subtask. I can see 2 subtask. 

It should not show those 2 also as per you. but showing 2 and leaving behind remaining 7. Why is this happened.

Thank you

0 votes
Alex
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2022

Hi @Sara Machado and welcome to the community!

There is an out-of-the-box feature to do that, but note that only the project admin can access this setting.

1. Navigate to the board in your team-managed project.

2. In the Group by dropdown, select Subtasks. The headers for each swimlane will be your regular issues, and the cards underneath each header represent your project's subtasks. You can then move those subtasks between columns like you would any other issue.

I hope it helps.

Cheers,

Alex

Suggest an answer