Custom filelds

Gokhulakrishna Prakash
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 23, 2019

How many maximum custom fields can be added in Atlassian JIRA UI

2 answers

1 vote
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2019

On a single screen, or how many custom fields can be added in total to the global Jira application?

Under the assumption you mean adding to the global Jira application, technically, you can add as many as you want. However, the more custom fields you have, you'll see a proportional decrease in application performance, as well. Depending on your set up, you can likely support a bunch of custom fields, but adding custom fields without asking why you need the field can lead to a long list of custom fields that ultimately don't get used and contribute to poor performance.

As an example, I've seen an environment with 700+ custom fields (used across 100+ projects) work just fine, but this was a Jira Data Center environment with a lot of powerful hardware to run this instance. I'm sure there are bigger instances out there, but in order to better administer Jira, try to only add custom fields where the business need is justified. :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2019

Good point - I thought about usability and consistency of experience, data and reporting first, but I've seen Jira instances with several thousand custom fields (even Server, not just DC), and they struggle.

Like Gokhulakrishna Prakash likes this
Gokhulakrishna Prakash
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 23, 2019

Thanks for your comment to both of you.

Yes my question was how many custom fields can be added on a single screen?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2019

Ask your users.  Technically, you can add tens of thousands.  In real life, your users will stop using it if you add too many, and "too many" is way lower than the technical limit.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2019

Technically, you can add millions.  Your server will be rendered unusable before you hit the mathematical limits.

Your users will start to have significant problems when you go over 200 as a rule-of-thumb.  Where you can, keep it under 100 (ignoring system and standard custom fields), and never create fields that duplicate the functions of others (status is usually the worst culprit)

Suggest an answer