Custom fields and customization of ticket workflow based on responses to those fields

jimconn May 10, 2023

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to customizing ticket workflows. I've been hitting up search sites to find a way to do this, but either there's too much information that doesn't answer my question or not enough information to answer my question, *or* it's possible that I've seen an answer out there but it only talks about how something could be done, but like I said, I'm a n00b and the explanation goes over my head.

That all said, I have a couple of questions related to customizing the create issue pane.

Q1

I've read a lot on how to customize the ticket creation pane. I've managed to successfully create a custom field, scheme, and issue type. I've managed to associate some things as well. When I attempt to associate the issue type scheme, I get the following error:

There are 277 sub-tasks that will be affected by this change. You must have at least one valid sub-task issue type.

I'm not able to find any documentation on what to do in this situation. How do I resolve this?

Q2

Given a custom drop-down in the create issue pane, based on the selection of the item in the drop-down, I would like to (dynamically?) present fields related to that selected item, which when filled in will present the customer-supplied responses in the API response of the create-ticket item to be parsed and acted upon and be present in the new ticket (TBD).

How does one do this? I found https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Adaptavist-questions/I-want-to-direct-a-customers-response-to-question-a-or-b-based/qaq-p/1325471 which might bark up the right road, but I'm not sure and I'm not sure if what I want is even possible. This link above shows what I think is relevant information, but what it doesn't cover is how to "link" responses from custom fields to view fields. That totally eludes me in this system. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Change-the-workflow-status-based-on-custom-field-value/qaq-p/1935972 may also have clues but this one is mildly confusing to me.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2023

Hello @jimconn 

Q1 - 

The message you are receiving indicates that there are Subtask type issues already created in your project, and you are trying to associate an Issue Type Scheme that does not include a Subtask issue type.

A project can have only one Issue Type Scheme associated to it at a time. That one scheme must include all the Issue Types that you want to be able to use in a project.

If you are associating a different Issue Type Scheme to your project, and issues already exist in your project, if the issue type for any of those existing issues is not in the new scheme then the type of the existing issues has to be changed to one of the Issue Types in the new scheme. The wizard will show you a screen for mapping the old to new issue types in that case.

Subtasks are a special type of issue. Subtasks can exist only as a child of another issue type. If you want a Subtask to be able to stand alone it has to be converted to a different issue type. Converting a Subtask to a different issue type is not something that can be done by the Issue Type Scheme association wizard process.

So, you have pre-existing subtask type issues in your project. Your new Issue Type Scheme does not include a Subtask issue type. Therefore the association of the new scheme can't go forward because the wizard had no issue type to which it can change the existing subtasks.

There are two solution options:

1. Convert all the Subtask issues in the project to another issue type, or

2. Add a Subtask issue type to the new Issue Type Scheme.

Q2 is really an entirely different topic. I'll answer it in a separate Answer here so that the conversations on the two topics don't get intermingled and confusing.

jimconn May 15, 2023

@Trudy Claspilldid you ever provide the second answer (somewhere else)? If so, would you mind placing a link here in this question?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2023

I'm sorry, no, I have not had time to work out an answer to your second question.

I recommend that you repost that as a separate Question topic to get the community's eyes on it.

Like jimconn likes this

Suggest an answer