Custom field link it to assignee or group picker can this be done

I want to take a custom field I have already created and make the assignee or even the group filed automatic based on that selection.

My custom filed is called service area-

I want to have whatever I pick in Service area map directly to a group of users in the assignee field and make them the only available users to select from.

I can't use issues because I only have one issue type, I have had no luck with project roles because I have only one project.

Can this be done map a custom filed to the assignee drop down.

It's jira 4.3

On a crowd server

1 answer

1 accepted

First off, assignee is a singler user field, you cannot have assign to multiple users using assignee field (great feature but not in JIRA 4.4 below - not sure about JIRA5). You could, however, create your own assignee field (in my project we call it 'owners') where it allow multiple users and you can do dashboard/filters.

If I understand your question correctly, you want the 'assignee' field to be base off the selection? In that case, you can either create your own post-function plugin to create this logic, or if you want it quick and easy, do some post-function script using Script Runner plugin (you can search on plugin page).

Hope this help!

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-1397 Looks like an old issue that wont be a feature in the future...

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,849 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot