Custom field: help users selecting codes from a combobox without an add-on

Cosmin Paval
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 7, 2018

Hi,

I have a list of codes and their respective descriptions that I need to implement in Jira for users to associate the codes to issues. From a reporting perspective only the codes are useful, but users will require the descriptions in order to choose the right code from the Create or Edit issue screens. I am conscious I need to use custom fields.

What is the best way to present, link code and description in Jira without using a 3rd party add-on?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2018

Best you can do without a plugin is to embed a link in the field description that points to a document that tells your users which one is which.

Cosmin Paval
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 9, 2018

That is quite time consuming. Custom fields should have the ability to add at least an extra description field as optional for each value in the list.

Suggest an answer