Custom field based assignment when ticket is created

Sandor Kocsis October 28, 2017

Dear everyone,

I'm working on a procurement workflow. One requirement is to assign the ticket to a person based on custom field data when the issue is created.

Example:

When creating a ticket, you have to select the pricing in a custom field. The custom field allows you to select the pricing level, for example: low, medium, high. Also, you have to define your line manager - from a drop down list of users.

When the issue is created, the ticket should automatically be assigned to the line manager for approval.

The screen configuration is done, the custom field and user list fields work. The question is how to make decisions during the issue creation process?

Shandor

4 answers

0 votes

It works with this addon: "Copy value from field to field (JMWE add-on)".

0 votes

Unfortunately I'm having issues with the first option as well. This is how it's set:

Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 00.51.37.png

Post function:

Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 00.54.10.png

Unfortunately the user from source field is not set as assignee. It becomes unassigned. I can change it manually after the ticket is created, but it should automatically be set to the user specified in the "Your Line Manager" field.

Any ideas?

0 votes

Hi,

yes thanks for the tip, "Copy Value from other field" helped me. I can take the user and set it as assignee. The problem is that I cant set up auto-assigning based on multiple locations. In my next example if you open a ticket in London, you have to select London from a drop down list. Then, when the ticket is created, it should automatically be assigned to someone in London. Of course, I have 15 different locations.

So you mean I will need an external plugin to solve this requirement?

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2017

Yes, for the second requirement you would need to look into plugins as well.
You can take a look into ScriptRunner which allows you to run groovy scripts within workflow transitions. 

So I assume you have different groups based on locations in JIRA.
So for instance if London group has 10 users in it, then you would need to code to pick a user from the group and assign the issue to them.

However generally each project has a project lead and the issues can be assigned to them by default. 
And later on they can set the assignee. 

But if you must insist on your requirements then you can look into ScriptRunner and JMWE plugis. 

0 votes
Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2017

You would need to a add post-function to your workflow's create issue step. 
But there aren't such post-functions in default JIRA.

So you would need to use a add-on to do this job for you. 
You can look into Script Runner and Jira Suite Utitilies plugins for this.

The simplest way to go would be with JSU.
With JIRA Suite Utilities, you can simply add a post-fucntion of "Copy Value from other field".
This would allow you to copy value from Line Manage field to Assignee field. 

Suggest an answer