Custom alert message on issue create/edit

Irtiza Rizvi January 3, 2017

Whenever an issue is created or edited, JIRA pops up a message in the top right corner, like below:

image2017-1-3 23:30:24.png

I want to either display my own message in addition to that or modify the existing one based on the value of a scripted field.  My scripted field is an AUI message (following the instructions here https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/4.3.0/jira/recipes/scriptfields/informationMessage.html), and it shows up perfectly on the issue.  I just need the same message in a popup alert as well, on issue create and issue update.

I tried using UserMessageUtil in a scripted listener, but that does not work.  It seems like UserMessageUtil is only meant for validators.

What is the recommended approach for this?

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Irtiza Rizvi January 6, 2017

So after some testing, I added a scripted listener for Issue Created and Issue Updated, as follows:

import com.onresolve.scriptrunner.runner.util.UserMessageUtil

UserMessageUtil.success("This is a test message.")

Originally, I thought it wasn't working at all, but now I see that it works but at the wrong time.  For instance, if I hit update on the issue, nothing shows up, but then if I open another issue in the issue navigator, the test message shows up.  Same with issue create–if I create an issue, nothing shows up, but if I refresh the page or navigate to another issue, the message shows.  

It's like the timing of the event is off.  Does anyone else experience this?

Munyiva Ngea March 9, 2018

Thanks a lot this worked like a charm.

0 votes
Esty_Agmon December 28, 2017

@Irtiza Rizvi Hi,

Did you end up solving the issue with the wrong message timing? I encountered the same problem, used a script in post function, called the message Util and only when I use issue view it works well, when I use other window, i.e right click on issue options, it is not triggering.

I wondered if you found a solution to this?

tx,

Esty

0 votes
Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2017

@Irtiza Rizvi Hi, could you provide a bit more details on how you use the AUI message (https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/4.3.0/jira/recipes/scriptfields/informationMessage.html)) ? 

Is it possible to use it with behaviours ? I would like the user to get a popup after evaluating a field on the issue.

Thanks !

Antoine

0 votes
Irtiza Rizvi January 6, 2017

Another observation: if the scripted listener is assigned to "All Projects" instead of a specific project, then the timing is off only SOMETIMES.

Overall, it's behaving very oddly.

0 votes
Corentin Méhat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2017

Hello,

the code available on the repo below is also working with this dialog box, it might be of some help :

https://github.com/sappho/jira-issue-quick-start/blob/master/src/main/resources/js/issue-quick-start.js

But beware that it's not the same box that is provided by the SR info message (in the issue view, always visible on the issue) and this dialog box (in javascript, reacting on some event).

Irtiza Rizvi January 5, 2017

Thanks for the response.  How do I setup that JS code to execute on issue create / update?

vaishal April 13, 2017

Hi 

Can you please tell us that where to add this JS?

Thanks and Regards,

Vaishal

Suggest an answer