Custom ID assigned to Tasks

Chanelle Blakely December 17, 2020

How can I create a custom ID for Tasks that is not the same as the custom ID generated by the system for Stories.  Please help!!!

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2020

This is not possible. The issuekey consists of the project key and a sequential number. any issue in the project will have the same convention.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2020

Hi @Chanelle Blakely 

You will need to write a custom solution for this where your solution generates a random id each time in 2 phases

1. Generate an id based on your specific rules
  2. Check if id exists already in your id database(if yes, repeat step 1), if not store in id database,
  3. Add and save new id to field.

As for specifics on how to write this, I do not have one offhand but hope the steps above help.

My question though is why don’t you want to use the default JIRA provided id?

Chanelle Blakely December 17, 2020

The IDs for the stories and the tasks are currently the same for my project. LRE for stories and LRE for tasks associated with stories, the only difference is the associated ICON but I would like the custom ID (LRE) to be different for tasks, something like TAS or something.... 

I am not sure how to write custom solutions in JIRA, but Google here I come!!!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2020

Why?  What problem are you trying to solve?

I ask because a second key is pretty much useless to you.  If you do it in text, you can't usefully report on it.  It won't be a key for the issue, just a number or string that happens to be on it.  You can't using for linking, inside Jira or externally.

I can't think of a good reason to create something that non-functional.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events