Custom Field Values

Terri Yeago November 14, 2016

How do I display a custom field in the issue detail view screen that currently has no value? I can add the field to the create/edit issue screen, but I can't add it to the issue itself when I am viewing it in the detail view. I am using a multi-line text field as the custom field.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2016

Code - JIRA is written to hide the fields until they have data, so you'd need to replace or override that.

Terri Yeago November 14, 2016

How do I do that? I want the custom field to show up in the detail view of the issue allowing users to edit it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2016

If it's a select list type field, then you can add an effective "empty" value, make it the default and make it mandatory.

For other fields, you will need to get the code for JIRA and change the stuff that hides it and recompile.

0 votes
Deleted user November 14, 2016

Terri, Based on your comment that you want to allow the users to edit, you can assign a default value to the custom field through workflow using post function of your create/open transition. Users should be able to see and edit it when they click on the issue. Depending on the type of the custom field, you may need any additional add on(s) to supply a default value through post function of the initial transition.

Suggest an answer