Crucible nullpointer exception when retreiving jira status if jira workflow step is a custom one

Annastashia Cambridge January 20, 2013

Hi, I am trying to set-up and test transitioning the jira issue through crucible. I have found that if the workflow status the issue is currently in or if I select a workflow status (transition) in crucible, that is one I've created, it throws a nullpointer exception.

It works when the statuses, transitions, steps are the default ones. So for example, I've copied the jira default workflow for testing purposes. I've added some extra workflow steps, statuses and transitions to simulate what I'd like to show, eg; ready for code review, under code review, code review complete. When the issue is in a status like 'in progress' which was an original status in the jira default workflow, crucible shows the status and gives me the list of transitions, successfully. However, if the issue is in the under code review status, for example, crucible can't seem to retrieve the status nor the list of transitions and throws a null pointer exception.

The workflow works perfectly in the jira issue, and I'm using the same user (me).

Has anyone else experienced this and can help me troubleshoot it further?

Thanks!

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Annastashia Cambridge February 7, 2013

This turned out to be a bug in crucible, where it wasn't picking up changes to or new statuses in Jira. When Crucible was restarted, my statuses started working. It appears in 2.10 the bug has been fixed as I've not had this problem since.

0 votes
Annastashia Cambridge January 23, 2013

Urgh.. happening again today with a different workflow. I've got a ticket logged with support so will resend the logs via that.

Today's workflow is the same one I was using to get a successful result above, however I've added more steps, statuses etc. On the new steps, it is failing, on the ones that were already there when I copied it, its working. :) Interesting..

0 votes
rstephens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2013

Glad to hear it's working properly now - but it'd be great if you could extract a stack trace from the logs - a null pointer exception is definitely a bug, even if it's just an error condition that's not handled properly.

0 votes
Annastashia Cambridge January 21, 2013

I've got this working now by using a new workflow, I still don't know what caused the issue so I have sent the workflow xml to Atlassian and will wait and see if its anything obvious. Meanwhile, I'll cross my fingers that it doesn't happen with my new one :)

0 votes
Annastashia Cambridge January 20, 2013

5.2 and 2.9.1, I'm just in the process of getting the log files again.

0 votes
rstephens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2013

Hi Stash,

What JIRA and FishEye/Crucible version you are using? Could you possibly also provide the stack trace for the NullPoitnerException? It should be availble in the logs.

Kind Regards,
Richard Stephens

Suggest an answer