Cross field validation - on transition checking the value of one field against another

edward kilby July 14, 2014

Hi, I'm currently trying to implement some validation in my Jira workflow to validate that on a transition a field value is checked against another field. Both these fields can be edited on the transition.

I've tried using the "Script Validator" to do this however with no success. my example validator script is something like this:

cfValues['Reapply Needed?'] == 'No' && cfValues['Repository'] != 'trunk'

however you have to link this to a field for the error to be displayed and it seems that when Jira runs this validation it runs it against the current (edited) value of the main field you have assigned it to but against the stored value of the other field.I actually need it to validate the two fields based on the their (unsaved) edited values in the screen when the user makes the transition.

Does anybody have any ideas on how I can do this?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2014

No, it evaluates it on the edited values of all fields.

You don't need to specify a field, if you leave the field blank the error message will go at the top, but selecting the field only determines where the error message if any is shown, nothing else.

I think the problem is the fields are probably select lists or radio buttons, in which case you need:

cfValues['Reapply Needed?']?.value

same for the other one.

0 votes
edward kilby July 23, 2014

Jamie, thanks very much for your response, It got me straight to the right answer. For anyone that has similar script issues, here is some of what I have learnt:

If you have a select list and the default value is 'None' then this in script terms is actually null.

e.g: cfValues['selectlist1']?.value != null

If you have a free text field then an empty field is null

As Jamie said above, to check the value of a select field then

cfValues['select list1']?.value == 'blah'

is what you need

Thanks

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2014

That's all true, but your first example can be replaced with the following for simplicity (groovy truth):

cfValues['selectlist1']?.value

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2014

please use the right tags (I did it) or you won't get answers.

Suggest an answer