Creating multiple tasks with the same sub-tasks

I have hundreds of tasks that need to be entered in Jira, and they all require the exact same three sub-tasks. Is there a more efficient way to do this than create task, create sub-task 1, create sub-task 2, create sub-task 3, repeat until my eyes-bleed? Thanks.

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

I will use JIRACLI and create a shell script to feed the data.

jira --action createIssue --project "zwork" --type "1" --summary "This is content"

jira --action createIssue --project "ZFIELDS" --type "Sub-task" --summary "This is content." --parent "ZFIELDS-1"

I didn't know that existed. Thanks. Unfortunately, my company doesn't have that component and probably won't for years given how long purchases take to get approved.

The JIRACLI is just an easy to way to use with the native JIRA Interface. If you want, you can just create your own script to do the same thing.

How would I do that without a CLI? I haven't been able to find anything about scripting JIRA other than how to change interface colors.

You could use Bob Swift's COT add-on to add a post function to the create transition of a specific issue type to also create the subtasks. Or go your own way with the Script Runner add-on

Take a look at the JIRA REST API doc (https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest/). Basically, you will need a script that can do the basic REST calls, like a shell script (curl) or groovy script. That is your best bet. Otherwise, ask your team to purchase the JIRACLI plugins and such.

I'll look into all these things. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

144 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you