Creating multiple issues based on selected values in a multiselect field

Khushbu Jowaheer August 21, 2018

Hello Team,

I am trying to automatically create multiples issues based on the selected options from a multi select custom field.

Please find my code below: 

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue

Issue issue = issue
def currentUser = ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().getLoggedInUser()
int i = 0
//assuming this is a multiple select list custom field
def suppliers = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager().getCustomFieldObject('customfield_13401')
def selectedSuppliers = issue.getCustomFieldValue(suppliers) as Collection
def issueSummary = issue.summary
def issueDescription = issue.description
def issueReporter = issue.reporter

selectedSuppliers.each {
def issueFactory = ComponentAccessor.getIssueFactory()
def issueManager = ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager()
def newIssue = issueFactory.cloneIssue(issue)

newIssue.setIssueTypeId("11800")
newIssue.setSummary(issueSummary)
newIssue.setDescription(issueSummary)
newIssue.setReporter(issueReporter)
newIssue.setCustomFieldValue(suppliers, it.toString())

Map<String,Object> newIssueParams = [issue:newIssue] as Map<String,Object>
issueManager.createIssueObject(currentUser, newIssueParams)
}

Unfortunately I am getting this error:

Please help!!

2018-08-21 16:30:01,878 ERROR [workflow.ScriptWorkflowFunction]: *************************************************************************************
2018-08-21 16:30:01,880 ERROR [workflow.ScriptWorkflowFunction]: Script function failed on issue: CR-425, actionId: 471, file: <inline script>
com.atlassian.jira.exception.CreateException: Error occurred while creating issue. This could be due to a plugin being incompatible with this version of JIRA. For more details please consult the logs, and see: http://confluence.atlassian.com/x/3McB
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultIssueManager.createIssue(DefaultIssueManager.java:588)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultIssueManager.createIssue(DefaultIssueManager.java:494)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultIssueManager.createIssueObject(DefaultIssueManager.java:599)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.RequestCachingIssueManager.createIssueObject(RequestCachingIssueManager.java:198)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueManager$createIssueObject$2.call(Unknown Source)
	at Script279$_run_closure1.doCall(Script279.groovy:26)
	at Script279.run(Script279.groovy:14)
Caused by: com.atlassian.jira.workflow.WorkflowException: Error occurred while creating issue. This could be due to a plugin being incompatible with this version of JIRA. For more details please consult the logs, and see: http://confluence.atlassian.com/x/3McB
	at com.atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager.createIssue(OSWorkflowManager.java:766)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultIssueManager.createIssue(DefaultIssueManager.java:580)
	... 6 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.util.Collection
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.impl.AbstractMultiCFType.createValue(AbstractMultiCFType.java:39)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.ImmutableCustomField.createValue(ImmutableCustomField.java:693)
	at com.atlassian.jira.workflow.function.issue.IssueCreateFunction.execute(IssueCreateFunction.java:81)
	at com.opensymphony.workflow.AbstractWorkflow.executeFunction(AbstractWorkflow.java:1014)
	at com.opensymphony.workflow.AbstractWorkflow.transitionWorkflow(AbstractWorkflow.java:1407)
	at com.opensymphony.workflow.AbstractWorkflow.initialize(AbstractWorkflow.java:606)
	at com.atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager.createIssue(OSWorkflowManager.java:742)
	... 7 more

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2018

Hi,

Just for test purpose, try to simply create 1 task without your customfield and collection.

Like this:

Issue issue = issue
def currentUser = ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().getLoggedInUser()
int i = 0
/*assuming this is a multiple select list custom field/*

newIssue.setIssueTypeId("3")

See if it creates you an issue or not.

If it creates, then i think your exception is somewhere with your collection, maybe you are doing something wrong there.

Khushbu Jowaheer August 22, 2018

Hello Nic,

I did try what you have said above. Unfortunately no issue is being created.

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2018

Hi @Khushbu Jowaheer

Do you still get an error?

If yes, what is the error? same one?

Khushbu Jowaheer August 22, 2018

Hi @Nir Haimov,

There is no failures reproduce . Please find the attached screenshot. It is the above code that I have used. 

Capture.PNG

Is there any possible solution you can suggest?

Thanks,

Khushbu

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2018

Hi @Khushbu Jowaheer

Please replace my above code with this

Issue issue = issue

newIssue.setIssueTypeId("3")

Let me know if it works 

Khushbu Jowaheer August 23, 2018

Hi Niv,

Nothing happens. I replaced the issue type id with the issue type id I want to create. I am trying to create issue of type sub task under the main issue.

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2018

Hi @Khushbu Jowaheer

The code i gave you should work.

It works for me, and create a regular task.

I wanted you try it just to see that it creates something for you.

Sounds weird for me that it does not create anything.

If you want to create sub-task, you need to use "issuetypeid" 5 (this is the issue type for sub-task in all instances coming by default with Jira)

You are trying different id and maybe the problem is there.

Furthermore, when creating sub-task you need to add another parameter to the code says who is the parent of the current sub-task you currently creating.

Any way,

Scriptrunner comes with a buildin script to create a sub-task (from post-function)

Use this will make your life easier i think

Yes I was using the builtin script earlier but now I have 156 values in my multiselect custom field.

Instead of creating 156 post functions, I was trying to find a simpler way by writing a script.

If I select 3 options from the multiselect list, I want 3 sub tasks to be created.

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2018

I understand your case...

Well, i don't know what to tell you at this point.

My code should give you most of the way but you say it's not working for you  =/

Hello Niv,

Actually you were right I need to specify the parentId in the code since I am creating a subtask, it is now working.

Thanks a lot :)

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2018

Great!

Please mark my answer as the solution so this case will be closed :)

Dante Labate December 19, 2018

@Khushbu Jowaheer

I would be very happy if you could share the script for creating subtasks.

0 votes
Sai Praveen Aminigadda February 12, 2021

@Nir Haimov i would like to use it to create stories from the creation of epic based on a custom field value. does this script work for my requirement?

Suggest an answer