Creating linked issues when there are required fields

An internal customer wants to create a linked issue but can't due to the fact that the screen shown doesn't display required fields in the projects that the issue is created in. Are the any solutions for this and keeping the requirement on the field or are required fields not "allowed" or recommended when the create linked issue is often used?

2 answers

Hello, 

You need to make the fields visible to the customer for the creation operation.

When you create a linked issue you get that issue's "Create issue" screen. I assume you are using some kind of issue field security that hides certain fields.  You need to de-activate it and make sure that the fields are on the screen.

You can also set default values for your fields in the "Custom field configuration", but this will mean that most users neglect changing from the default value, even if the field is visible to them (in my experience).

There is no restriction on required fields when creating issues.

Hi!

Thanks for the reply! As the create linked issue screen can't be configured, we hade to remove the requirement on a particular field and create a post function in a transition instead.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,000 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot