Creating issues by component

I am using a workflow that creates and assigns relatively small units of work; ranging from 20 minutes for small issues to 2 or 3 hours for larger issues. I'm doing this as it helps me stay focused as each unit is a tightly defined item of work; I know exactly how to do it and have a very good idea of how much work it involves before starting it.

For this reason, I need to be able to create and organise issues quickly to avoid becoming bogged-down in issue management. I use components for grouping the issues within a project as components is how I organise my work cycles.

So...

In a Kanban board environment, how do I create issues with the component property pre-set?

I would like to be able to declare "I am working in X component" and then have all issue I create pre-populated with that component until I say otherwise. I am aware that I can use batch operations to mass assign components after I've create the issues but that is a little less convenient.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote

I assume this means that when you're creating an issue, you do not want to have to enter a component manually?

If so, then you need to take a quick look at the logic of which component to set, and use post-functions on the "create issue" step on the workflow to set the component automatically.

Yes, that sounds like the right avenue; thanks.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

35 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you