Creating issues and comments from email problems

Paul Nisbett November 2, 2011

Using Jira 4.12

I'm configuring Jira to allow creation and comments via email - so far so good, I can create an issue via email, but there are 2 problems that I'm struggling to solve:

1. The emails are being deleted from the inbox - we're assuming that Jira is doing this. Is there any way that it can be stopped?

2. Comment via email is nto working. I'm replying via Outlook 2007 (html and plain text) however the comments are not being written to the ticket. I've noticed the following in stdout_yyyymmdd.log:

2011-11-03 11:58:55,798 JiraQuartzScheduler_Worker-3 WARN ServiceRunner MY_SERVICE [service.util.handler.AbstractMessageHandler] Received message carrying this JIRA instance fingerprint (0c8e0efb1864c3197a02c366be7c4395)

There's nothing else in the logs, and no bounced back email, so I'm at a loss where to go next - unless I need to create a seperate comment listener service?

any thoughts?

thanks in advance, any guidance or pointers gratefully accepted
Cheers
Paul

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2011

A workaround to create a mailinglist that includes two mailboxes, one for Jira and one for the purpose of having the archive.

But in general it is not needed to have the mail retained in Jira mailbox since all updates happening in the Jira issue will anyway reach the reporter.

Paul Nisbett November 2, 2011

Thanks for the speedy response, I've also fixed the commenting issue by changing the 'reply to' value

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2011

There seems to be another solution also. At least the documentation of the Jira Extendable Mail Handler has an option whether to delete the mail or not from the mailbox. https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JEMH/JEMH+Configuration+Options

I haven't tried it myself though.

Suggest an answer