Creating group permissions

Tom Lamphier June 7, 2017

Hi All,

Either I'm asking a question that has yet to be asked or I'm not using the right words to find what I'm looking, so I apologize if this is a duplicate.

Currently I'm running a cloud instance for our development teams, everything is running flawlessly. 

The consultants in my company would like access, but their needs would require outside people seeing our JIRA instance. I don't want the consultant having access to dev projects or vice versa.

My question is this, can I create a permissions group for the consultants where they have their own projects they can create, add issues to, move tickets through the workflow etc. But cannot see, touch or manipulate any of the projects on development side (again) and vice versa?

Regards,
Tom

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2017

This comes up a lot.  The main problem is that the default setup for JIRA lets everyone in, and you have to unpick that to make it work correctly.

First, go to the permission scheme and have a look at them.  They list the rights that collections of users get in projects.  The default scheme grants the role of "users" some rights, and the role of "developers" others, and so-on.  There's a chance you don't need to change this, but you do need to understand it.  For the sake of argument, let's just look at "browse", which lets people see a project.

Second, have a look at a project using it.  Go to the users and roles setup and have a look at what users and groups are in the roles. 

Third, the long slog bit - you are going to need to go over every project that your consultants group should *not* see, and remove their access, probably replacing whatever you remove with a smaller group of "internal users".  

The consultants probably have access by simply being in the "can use JIRA" group(s)

Suggest an answer