Creating cascaded child issues that can be put into a sprint - how to?

J0NATHAN90 January 5, 2020

I am trying to enter the spirit of Agile by being clear about macro objectives and then breaking them down into Stories/tasks/sub-tasks. I don't usually get to 'doable' actions until I get to Tasks, but Jira seem only to let me connect and lift Stories into a sprint. I can't seem to link it all up. Is there some guidance somewhere? Sorry if this is a bit basic but I'm only just starting.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Anand Inamdar_Amoeboids
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2020

@J0NATHAN90 in terms of built-in issue hierarchy, the best you can achieve is Epic -> Story -> Task -> Sub-task

Out of these - you can pull Epic, Story & Task into sprint while sub-tasks are automatically pulled into sprints as of their parent tasks.

I am not sure if I answered your question here, feel free add a bit more clarification and I'll try to respond.

J0NATHAN90 January 6, 2020

You have - thanks. What you say makes sense. I don't think Atalassian have quite hit the spirit of Agile with this, but now I know where I stand. It should be possible to push any kind of issue into a sprint in my opinion. Anyway - thanks - you've covered it.

0 votes
C_ Derek Fields
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2020

One semantic problem is that you appear to view Tasks as sub-components of Stories. In Jira, they are siblings. Many people use Sub-Tasks to record the specific action(s) to be done to move an Issue  (a Story or Task) from open to closed.

The way Sprints work in Jira is that all Sub-Tasks are expected to be completed for an Issue to be marked as completed within the Sprint. If one or more sub-tasks are not done, then you either have to move the Issue to the next Sprint or you need to create a new Issue with the remaining Sub-Tasks for a future Sprint.

0 votes
Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2020

Tasks and story both are issue type and according to your issue type scheme in the project, you can add task/story and other issue types to sprint. You don't have to use stories, but most of the reports and fields and manuals created based on this issue type and it may be confusing for you if you want to customize it for yourself.

Suggest an answer