I am looking to create a custom form that teams would fill out that would be used by Jira (ideally) to call an external API and consumed by that application.
Is there a way to do this beyond conceptually? I've been searching and I think I have a couple of the pieces but I'm not sure if this is actually feasible.
Hi @Taylor Bianchi , welcome on the community.
Can you describe your use case in more detail? I will try to rewrite it but I do not think I'm correct
Is that correct?
Hey @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ thanks for that.
Let me clarify:
1. Create a form in Jira that collects the pertinet parameters I want to pass to the external API
2. Take the user inputs from this form and generate an API call to the external system to execute action(s).
My initial thought was a Service Desk form that creates an issue but not sure the use case is aligned enough to that.
and while these seem kind of aligned they aren't exactly what I had in mind and may be over-engineering what I "think" is a little more simplistic.
Yeah I think you are on it already. You must
Or there is maybe "Free" solution but I never tested it. You can obviously Send web request using Automation. It looks like:
It will contain all the Issue data. So it would be necessary to adjust your external API to accept JSON representing issue as webhook's body.
Thanks very much @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ this is really helpful. A couple questions for clarity...
1. Does the webhook allow for customized parameters to be passed to the external API? I was reading through the documentation and it seemed to suggest that the external API should be modified to consume what Jira has available as it cannot be modified. Ergo, this idea of bringing in Custom Fields wouldn't be possible.
2. Is the workflow generated automatically from which I can modify the step as you delineate above? Or is this something I have to bring in on my own?
3. Finally, can what you describe here be extrapolated to a non-Cloud/SaaS Jira implementation... i.e. hosted in an enterprise environment but with external connectivity?
No webhook can't be customized and I was thinking about it little bit...webhok only invokes some web service endpoint, but you cannot use the response to set custom field values. So the only option is to use script runner postfunction (or other App).
Workflow is set on combination of project and issuetype (it is called Workflow scheme). One workflow scheme can be used for multiple projects. You can get more information here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/manage-issue-workflows/
You can implement similar functionality on Server too. But you will also need a scriptrunner. The only difference is that you can use Jira Java API on Server (only Jira REST API can be used on Cloud)
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events