Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Creating a query to track story points versus Days to complete

Hello, I am new to JIRA and this may have already been asked. 

I am trying to get a better understanding of estimation and Story point comparisons. I was curious if there is a way to create a query to obtain the following information -

Get a snap shot of a user story with story points and how long that story took to be completed? How long it took to go from In develop, to ready for testing, to testing completed. And finally be able to get an average. So when the team throws out an 8 I have an understanding that it is meaning 6 days (this is an example) or work. 

Does Jira have this kind of feature?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Ben Jasinski  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Short answer is: no, you cannot do that with out-of-the-box Jira, and...

This type of analysis can be tricky and controversial.  Story points, to many teams, are often considered an indicator of complexity and/or relative effort and/or lots of things.  Trying to quantify story points to a time measure often breaks down as teams have people, and people change over time.  (Even the person who reportedly created "story points" regrets it for this and many reasons.)

Be that as it may...I cannot tell if you are using Jira Cloud or Server/Data Center to offer specifics of work-around ideas, other than:

• If you need to do this infrequently: export the data to a spreadsheet and manually compute the information.  I recommend doing this until you ascertain the value of doing this after discussion with your team.
  • If you need this often, consider either investigating marketplace add-on purchases or build your own solution using custom fields and Automation for Jira (A4J) rules.

Best regards,

Bill

Thanks Bill. I know its controversial so I will try the other solutions you provided. I am not a fan of relying on story points but my new company puts a lot of reliance on story points. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you