Creating a query to track story points versus Days to complete

Ben Jasinski April 28, 2021

Hello, I am new to JIRA and this may have already been asked. 

I am trying to get a better understanding of estimation and Story point comparisons. I was curious if there is a way to create a query to obtain the following information -

Get a snap shot of a user story with story points and how long that story took to be completed? How long it took to go from In develop, to ready for testing, to testing completed. And finally be able to get an average. So when the team throws out an 8 I have an understanding that it is meaning 6 days (this is an example) or work. 

Does Jira have this kind of feature?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2021

Hi @Ben Jasinski  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Short answer is: no, you cannot do that with out-of-the-box Jira, and...

This type of analysis can be tricky and controversial.  Story points, to many teams, are often considered an indicator of complexity and/or relative effort and/or lots of things.  Trying to quantify story points to a time measure often breaks down as teams have people, and people change over time.  (Even the person who reportedly created "story points" regrets it for this and many reasons.)

Be that as it may...I cannot tell if you are using Jira Cloud or Server/Data Center to offer specifics of work-around ideas, other than:

• If you need to do this infrequently: export the data to a spreadsheet and manually compute the information.  I recommend doing this until you ascertain the value of doing this after discussion with your team.
  • If you need this often, consider either investigating marketplace add-on purchases or build your own solution using custom fields and Automation for Jira (A4J) rules.

Best regards,

Bill

Ben Jasinski April 28, 2021

Thanks Bill. I know its controversial so I will try the other solutions you provided. I am not a fan of relying on story points but my new company puts a lot of reliance on story points. 

Suggest an answer