Creating a new project creates new schemes and workflow. How to stop this?

SeanM September 10, 2014

I create a new project called "My Project" with key "MY".  When I do that, the following also get created

• MY: My Project Issue Type Scheme
  • MY: My Project Issue Workflow Scheme

Most projects will use already existing schemes.  In fact, it's extreme rarely that a project needs something new.  So this automatic creation of an Issue Type scheme and a Workflow scheme just adds cleanup tasks that have to be done every time a new project is created.

A new project is automatically assigned the already-existing Default Permission Scheme.

It's automatically assigned the already-existing Default Notifications scheme.

And the already-existing Default Issue Type Screen scheme.

And the Default Field Configuration.

So why does it have to get a new Issue Type and Workflow schemes.  Why can't it just be assigned the defaults for those?

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2014

Use the JIRA default template to create the projects.  The templates determine whether new schemes are used or existing ones chosen, and the last option on the list is set up to simply take the standard lot.

Ulrika Eriksson September 11, 2014

Where do I choose JIRA default template when creating new projects?

SeanM September 12, 2014

After clicking the Add Project button the Select Project Type dialog appears and presents six types. If you chose the last one, Jira Classic, when the project is created it uses the already-existing default schemes. If, on the other hand, you select on of the other types, new schemes are created. The new schemes are based on the defaults, are essentially copies of them. But they are new, separate schemes. In my case, what was bothersome was I was creating several new projects that were all supposed to use the same schemes. But I was getting a new, separate scheme for each one. Half a dozen identical schemes where I only needed one. So now I select Jira Classic almost every time I create a new project.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2014

Pretty much what I do too - unless I've got a good reason to choose one of the others, I stick to Classic. The others are useful, but most of the time, I'm going to need to tweak whatever I choose

Ulrika Eriksson September 14, 2014

Thanks a lot, I think Classic is a bit confusing, since it is the same name as the old classic boards not used any more.

0 votes
SeanM September 10, 2014

Thanks!

Suggest an answer