Creating a board for review tickets associated with production incidents

Matthew Freake May 6, 2024

I want to create a board for reviewing tickets associated with production incidents. The tickets will be across multiple projects.

I want the board to group them by incident, so we can review all associated with an incident together,

In my mind labels or components would be ideal to do the grouping, but I haven't found a way to group tickets by labels and components seem to be project specific, whereas the tickets will be in multiple projects

I can't use an Epic per incident because the tickets may already have their own, non-incident epic.

Is there a way to achieve what I want?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2024

Hello @Matthew Freake 

When you say the tickets are "associated" with production incidents, do you mean that they are linked together using the issue linking functionality?

If so, there is no native functionality that would enable you to create a filter that can find all issues that are linked to a dynamic list of "production incidents". I assume you would want to use some sort of filtering on the production incidents also so that you would not be getting all linked issues for every production incident.

Such a query would require a third party application that extends Jira filtering capabilities. Do you have such an app already, or are you open to considering getting one? With such an app you would at least be able to create the filter to retrieve the issues.

Additionally, grouping in a board based on Labels or Components is not supported. Those fields can have multiple values, so Jira would not be able to determine in which group an issue belonged when the field had multiple values. You could create Swimlanes based on Queries and create a swimlane for each production incident, but that would become a maintenance problem.

Matthew Freake May 7, 2024

Thanks for the reply.

The "association" is simply that an incident happened and that was why the ticket was created. I am open to using any mechanism to record that fact (Epic, Label, Component, Story with sub-stories...), as long as it doesn't interfere with any existing workflow we use in Jira, like Epics. By the sound of things though, there isn't an easy way to do what we need.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2024

You could create the association in a number of ways. You could use Components or Labels, as you thought of, or Issue Linking, as I mentioned. You could also create a custom field for the associated issues in which you record the key of the Incident.

But with native functionality, the options for "grouping" the tickets is limited.

If you are talking about displaying the issues on a board and grouping them in Swimlanes, there are only specific fields that can be used to create those Swimlanes automatically and dynamically, like Epics and Stories. Otherwise you can use the Swimlanes Queries option to define JQL statements to construct each swimlane.

In a Filter you can use the Order By clause to sort the issues based on a field. That isn't quite the same as grouping the issues.

What type of projects are you using for your incidents and associated ticket; Service, Software, or Business/Work Management?

0 votes
Matthew Freake May 9, 2024

Thanks for your help - I've now got Swimlanes working with labels and they seem the best solution without having to spend money in the Marketplace.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events