Creating a QA request portal

FK September 25, 2019

Hello all.

I am looking into creating a request portal for my organisation, this portal would be expected to handle QA request.

I am thinking about a portal that will guide the requesting person through pre-generated and dynamic forms (=depending on what people select additional options and fields will become available etc.) which at the end will have work items as output which I can triage further if necessary and with which I can create dashboards and assign people. 

I would like to be able to have control over the forms and general layout of the request pages as well as the form of the output. I would also like to combine dashboards with the request form so the people who write request can see how their work items are being generated, triaged and worked on.

Would JIRA be an appropriate tool for such an endeavor and if so what would be the first stops towards this?

Thank you very much for your help,
-FK

6 answers

5 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mark Lang January 20, 2020

Hi @FK

Like several of the answers provided, I have utilized Jira Service Desk to build a portal.  We also used an additional app Extension For Jira Service Desk to get additional dynamic form functionality.  There were some limitations for how many levels of conditional logic could be applied but it worked on several use cases for us.  In the end, our customers decided a less complicated form was better but we were able to build the requested portal with Jira Service Desk and app. 

Regards,

Mark 

1 vote
Answer accepted
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2020

Hi @FK and welcome!

For the desired features you listed, Jira Service Desk can provide them.  Complete and finely detailed customization isn't easily accomplished but most users find the customizable elements meet their needs.  A requester can be grouped into organizations where they can see both their own request as well as those of others in their organization which helps cut down on duplicates.

Cheers, Larry

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2020

Have you considered using Jira Service Desk given it has a built in portal? If that doesn't fit please explain "portal" here. Is it browser based? Do the users have access to your Jira solution?

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 20, 2020

Hi FK, how did you tackle this problem?

Jira Service Desk has customer portal functionality that can work like a form guiding people to provide the relevant information.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2020

I’m just here for the LOLz

🤣😂🌟👏👏

only joking.... sometimes I do have serious stuff to say on Community:

@FK :

#JSD is clearly the obvious answer for this one. However! Should your organisation not be interested in investing budget into #JSD, I recommend a QA Ticketing project in Jira!

One of the peeps of a sister company of ours did that because they didn’t want it in their JSD (external clients only) plus they’re fighting for admin budget, so they use a project to highlight all the “To-Do’s” that won’t be done, without the pressure of having to Triage tickets in a timely manner.

Good luck with the QA Portal. Sounds like a tough but challenging project!!

1 vote
FK January 20, 2020

Hi all. I ended up using JIRA Software and not SD. SD was too expensive and I was able to build a portal using JIRA Software by combining it with this: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215818/issue-forms-for-confluence?hosting=server&tab=overview

This way I was able to easily create masks and dialogues.

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2020

Outstanding @FK !  I agree that JSD does not fit every use-case (yet :-) ) and I congratulate you on your creative solution!

Cheers!

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2020

@FK :
Great use of Marketplace to help you achieve you goals! 🌟👏

After you've implemented and given it time to see results, don't forget to come back to Community and write a blog about your experiences and lessons learnt!! 🤓

Suggest an answer