Creating User Story Template in Jira

David Senters March 3, 2022

How do I create User Story Templates inn Jira? 

3 answers

0 votes
David Senters April 18, 2022

I am trying to provide template text in the Summary and Description fields @Trudy Claspill 

0 votes
David Senters March 7, 2022

I am trying to create a simple saved template for User Story Descriptions, AC, summary, ect. 

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2022

Hello @David Senters 

Welcome to the community.

Can you provide more information about the problem you are trying to solve?

Are you trying to provide template text in the Summary and/or Description fields?

Are you trying to automate the creation of a standard set of sub-tasks in the story?

Without more details we can't really provide suggestions.

I found multiple posts throughout the Jira forums in this community on this topic by doing a google search. Maybe one of those posts addresses your need already.
https://www.google.com/search?q=jira+cloud+story+template&oq=jira+cloud+story+template

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2022

@David Senters 

Have any of the other posts on this same topic in the community addressed your questions? If they don't can you ask more specific questions?

Are you open to using a third part application to achieve your requirement?

Caleb Bolden April 15, 2022

I would also like to do this.

I would like to provide template text in the summary and description fields, as well as automate the creation of a set of subtasks within the story. 

@Trudy Claspill 

Like David Senters likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2022

@Caleb Bolden 

Have you already reviewed the posts found by the search link I provided above, to see if any of those provide a solution that will work for you?

Like David Senters likes this
Caleb Bolden April 15, 2022

I was able to find a solution, thank you!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2022

@David Senters 

Are you open to using third party apps? There are several available from the Atlassian Marketplace:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&product=jira&query=issue%20templates

If you are not open to third party apps, this post provides information about a work around for providing template text for the Description field:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-Server-questions/How-to-create-a-template-for-issue-description/qaq-p/1041636

Jim Bantanis-Kapirnas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 11, 2022

@Caleb Bolden would you be so kind and share the solution you found? Others might benefit from it as well.

Tom Dawson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 14, 2022

Caleb Bolden, I hope you run into the same problem in the future, google it, and then find your own thread saying you solved it without sharing the fix.

This is an example of a simple automation I have that creates the same set of subtasks for setting up a new Jira project - it's a manually triggered automation that is applied to the issue you're looking at when it's fired.

image.png

If this is on the lines of what you're needing, it would be straightforward to expand it, e.g;

• Trigger when a key word/phrase is typed into the Summary, Description, Custom Field, etc.
  • Change/append the Description/Summary as to include more information and not completely write over what was existing in said ticket
  • Add Sub-tasks that not only just a Summary as seen in my screenshot, but also have any amount of fields/custom fields pre-configured

The result should be an automated way of creating consistent and information-filled Issues that suit your use case.

If you don't want to override the existing fields, use smart values.

For example, edit the Description to:

{{issue.description}}
---
Here is my Custom Field:
{{issue.customfield_12345}}

In my example, the existing description will be included at the start of the new description plus a horizontal line and then a smart value for a custom field also present in the Issue.  Smart Values are very powerful and are key to unlocking some of the best uses of Jira Automation.

Suggest an answer