Creating JIRA ticket from an application trigger

Nandini.Tandon April 2, 2024

Currently, in our system, there exists a trigger that sends an email to an email address upon an action.

I need to know how can a Jira ticket can get created automatically, once the email is sent to the email address.

2 answers

2 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2024

Hey @Nandini.Tandon ,

Depending on the system sending an email you could indeed also create some kind of script that gets triggered and calls the Jira API to create a ticket.

On the other hand, the system is already sending an email so you could look in got setting up a mail handler

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-issues-and-comments-from-email/

Simply add another email address to your already existing trigger and have the email handler create the issue for you

Need the issue creation to be automated, with no manual intervention.

Any suggestion on the JIRA API that I need to call to get the ticket created?

Is it possible to get this done without creating and integrating JIRA API in our system and running a script to post the data in the API?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2024

If you want to go by API calls then you can look here for the documentation:

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-issues/#api-rest-api-3-issue-post

You can write the call to the API in many ways so no real integration is needed.

However, i'd still advocate for the email handler route. This doesn't need any manual intervention except a one time setup of your email handler in Jira. 

When a mail is recieved by Jira it will create a ticket based on how you set up the handler.

and considering the email is already being sent out just add an extra "stakeholder" being your Jira system.

If the email handler requires no manual intervention I would like to go for this route. Will check the link you have sent above to know how I can configure and set up. 

Thanks for the help. Will update once I achieve the desired results.

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 2, 2024

Hi Nandini - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What exactly is the trigger that sends the email? Is it an automation rule? A built in Jira process? What are the steps to reproduce what is happening? And what do you want to happen when? 

It is an automation rule. If an action fails in an application let's say I am entering some data in an application, and the data fails to get added to the system, the system automatically sends an email to the relevant stakeholders.

We need a JIRA ticket as soon as the email is sent to the stakeholder.

1. Enter data into an internal app

2. Data might get into the system

3. Data may not get into the system

4. If data does not get into the system, our process sends an email to 'A'

5. What I want is: Alongside an email, a JIRA ticket should be created too, based on the content of the Email

[when a mail is sent to A, create a JIRA ticket]

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 2, 2024

So can't you just add an action to your automation rule to create an issue? 

The problem statement is that I am looking for an option/ feasibility where I do not have to touch the application code

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events