Hi please assist me with:
1) Creating an issue inside JIRA with an incoming email and populating the custom fields whose value has been specified in the email.
2) Is there a script required for this functionality to work.
3) In Atlassian docs I have read that JIRA provides this functionality by default with the help of mail handlers, mail servers etc. But the true nature of its working is not clear.
Can you please help?
Thanks in advance
There are several pre-requisites you need to setup first. I would assume that you are interested in setting up email channel for JIRA Service Desk handling incoming mail requests.
1. You need to setup an email channel for the incoming mail request:
2. Once you have the mail set up, you need to have a proper request type set which is suitable for email requests.
Check out this page for some details:
Pay attention to the field requirements. Request type should have summary and description fields only that would be populated from subject and email body from the incoming mail.
3. As for the custom fields those would be setup with their corresponding default values.
Hope this would help you a bit.
I'm not quite clear what do you mean by "the custom fields also which have been provided inside the mail". Do you mean you have custom fields you would like to be setup on ticket generation with some predefined values? Or do you expect some of the text within the email to be used to set custom field/s values?
I want the latter case to be implemented:
"Or do you expect some of the text within the email to be used to set custom field/s values?"
I have some custom and default fields in my ticket which should be populated by the values which are present in the email. Is is possible?
Unfortunately I cannot think of how you could achieve that with basic JIRA SD functionalities.
One possible approach you may consider is to try creating your own post function using Script Runner. For example on ticket creation, pickup certain text from issue description and apply your process rule setting the custom field/s value/s.
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.Save your spot