Create subtask that starts at point in workflow

Matthew Rochman December 4, 2013

I have a workflow and for simplicity, lets says that it looks like this:

Open -> In Progress -> Tested -> Closed

Sometimes we need help from hosting company. So I created a subtask issue type = hosting.

I want to set it so that , if I create a new subtask with issue type = hosting, it will bypass the "Open" status and go straight to "In Progress" or "Tested" so we don't have to push the new subtask through a couple of transitions to get it where we want it to be in the workflow.

Is this possible and can you provide instructions? Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2013

Yes, you can do this.

I would:

1. Copy the existing workflow, and call the copy something like "hosting workflow"
  2. Edit the copy - look for the "create" transition and change the landing point for it from "open" to "in progress" (Actually, you might want to be a bit more radical and have a completely different workflow, but I'll leave that for now)
  3. Create a new workflow scheme
  4. In that scheme, set the "default" to the current workflow, but tell it to use "hosting workflow" for "hosting" issue type
  5. Apply the scheme to the project.
0 votes
Matthew Rochman December 9, 2013

Thanks for your help guys. Seems like this is the main way to do it (copy workflow, create new starting point based on issue type). Thanks

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2013

HI Matthew

What you need to do is create your simplified workflow, then configure in your workflow scheme that if sub-task is raised then the simplified workflow gets activated.

Here is the link on how this is done

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+workflow+schemes

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2013

I don't think this is right - first, to use Simplified workflow, you need to have the Agile plugin, and second, the simplified workflow still creates issues in the same initial status.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2013

@Nic: My bad. I did not mean greenhopper simplified workflow. What i meant was to have two workflows and select the one you want based on issue type.

Suggest an answer