Create subtask doesn't bring up options to change assignee, choose from template etc

Shivam Singh April 24, 2020

On creating a subtask for a ticket, the subtask doesn't bring up in pop up and only one option for the subtask name comes just beneath description of parent task. There is no screen that will allow me to change the assignee and it just assigns to the default assignee neither to the one who has been assigned the parent ticket. There is no option to select sub task from templates, option to add multiple subtasks.

Where can i change the settings to do the needful.

subtask1.pngsubtask2.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2020

Hi @Shivam Singh ,

you can enter the name of the subtask and press enter after that subtask has been created, once it's created you can click on the sub-task and it will open the next window of the subtask where you can edit the details like description, assignee, etc for the subtask.

You are using the new view of the issues in the cloud version and it will come like this only.

when you created one subtask it will give you an option (plus icon) for creating multiple subtasks too.

Capture.PNG

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2020

@Shivam Singh  if it will help you please accept the answer.

Hi @Monika Rani ,

Thanks for answering to my question and yes this is the way i'm doing it right now but it becomes tedious for me if i am having multiple subtasks because for each subtask i need to manually open each subtask one by one then change the assignee and other details. 

Also are there any option to choose template for the subtask, before migrating my jira from previous version to this one we were able to create subtasks from chosen template which was definitely reducing lots of efforts and now a need to create a bunch of subtask those are generic for many parent tasks.  

As you said 'You are using the new view of the issues in the cloud version and it will come like this only' so do i need to bear with this only or is there any possible way to have it like the image below(the traditional way).

Will really appreciate your answer.Screenshot from 2020-04-24 13-09-33.png

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2020

@Shivam Singh  In the new view, it is not possible. Are you using Jira Cloud or Jira server?

@Monika Rani  I am using Jira Cloud.

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2020

@Shivam Singh  you need to turn off the new issue view if you want to use the traditional way otherwise you need to do as same as you are doing right now.

You can turn it off Go to profile->setting->Jira Labs

Like Shivam Singh likes this

Thanks @Monika Rani  That helped me. 

Jason Moungey April 1, 2021

That is terrible UI. Wow. Yet another reason to stop using Atlassian products!

Fabien Frances March 10, 2022

@Monika Rani

I have the same issue as @Shivam Singh however the new issue view is now transioning to everyone, so that response is not fit for purpose.

msedge_2022-03-10_13-24-41.jpg

Furthermore this lack of functionality to be able to change the assignee as we create a subtask is an issue for all Jira Cloud users.

And imagine the consequences, as the software allows to automatically assign to the project lead set in project settings, everytime as new subtask is created the project lead receives an email and notification, which then consequently completely defeat the point of having an automatic assignment to project lead.

We cannot have a feature one side of the boat that is destroying the other side of the boat. It doesn't work!

What I am looking for is an automation to stop this happening, and I am able for example to assign automatically to the subtask reporter, but if the project lead auto-assignment is already active in project settings, then it does not work.

The project settings auto-assignment superseeds any automation, so this is a critical issue there.

Like kajal likes this

Suggest an answer