Create stories on kanban board and skip backlog

Allen Vartanian September 11, 2019

Is there a way to use the "+" on the global sidebar to create a story and assign it a status on the kanban board of a project without putting it in the backlog first? I know of the "+ Create Issue" button within each column itself but asking for posterity.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2019

Hi @Allen Vartanian

I assume - based on your comment about a "+ Create Issue" in each column - you're using Next-Gen. 

As far as I know, you do need to choose "Move to Board" to get the issues from Backlog > Board in Next-Gen Kanban. The best options I know of are:

• Remove the Backlog - issues are then created direct on the board. 
  • Add the issues to the Backlog first and once all created, you can multi-select (Hold Ctrl or Shift and select) and move them all to the board in bulk.

You might be able to achieve what you require with an add-on - such as Automation for Jira. Just ensure you try what you need during the free trial - some apps earlier in the year were having issues with Next-Gen due to variances in the APIs. This means not every function might work as well as with Classic.

Ste

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2019

that for sure is the case for NG and am sure that is what we are dealing with here. 

Like Ste likes this
Allen Vartanian September 12, 2019

Yep. It's a NG project. That's unfortunate. Thanks!

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2019

Allen, issues appear in the Kanban based upon their status. So if you create an issue it first appears in the initial status, e.g. To Do, which typically is the Backlog status. However, you can immediately set the status to one of the statuses that are associated w/ a Kanban column and it will appear there. Yes it would momentarily appear on the backlog but if your quick...

Allen Vartanian September 11, 2019

Jack,

Sorry, what do you mean by "but if you're quick"? When I click "Create" on the modal a small pop-up shows up that the story was created with a link to the story's page. If I click that and go to the page, even changing the status their doesn't take it out of the backlog; it just assigns the new status and keeps it in the backlog and when I click "Move to board" in the backlog it goes to the correct column that it was updated to.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2019

hmmm, are you on server or cloud?

I just ran the following test:

1. clicked on the "+" to create new issue in a project where i use Kanban and backlog (= to do status)
  2. issue shows on backlog
  3. i edited the issue and changed the status to In progress and the issue disappeared from backlog and show in the In Progress column in my Kanban

Suggest an answer