Create new project using existing workflows

Ethan Trewhitt November 10, 2014

I'm new to administering JIRA but I've come across a frustrating point: every new JIRA project seems to create a new Workflow and Workflow Scheme (at least) with the project name. Since I want to set these new projects to use an existing common Workflow (Scheme), it's annoying to have to go through this process with each new project:

1. Change the project's workflow and scheme to point to the common one
  2. Switch to the list of workflow schemes
  3. Click "inactive" to show the now inactive scheme
  4. Delete the workflow scheme
  5. Switch to the list of workflows
  6. Click "inactive" to show the now inactive workflow
  7. Delete the workflow

I'm probably missing a few steps because I don't remember the specifics, but it's a needlessly complex process.

Is it possible to create a new project without all the extra stuff getting created that I will end up deleting anyway?

Thanks in advance.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2014

Hey Ethan,

JIRA Automatically creates a new scheme

This occurs if you create a project using one of the JIRA Project Templates. For example, JIRA Agile Project. To avoid automatically creating these schemes each time a project is created, select the JIRA Classic Project type during creation. This will assign all the existing default schemes to the project. 

Once you create the project, you will have to manually change each scheme to use your existing scheme.

Workaround

You can build your own project template and use it to create projects to use a specific scheme when created. Take a look at https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Creating+a+Project+Template

1 vote
Juliane Di Lascio September 19, 2016

There is no classic project type (7.1.7). We do not want to create all the not needed stuff (schemes, workflows...) by creating a new project. (It is much work to delete all this stuff after creating the new project with the wanted schemes, workflows....)

So please tell us an option to create projects without this.

Lewis Pugsley November 23, 2016

Did you manage to find a resolution to this issue? Or do we have to accept the fact that every time a project is created a workflow is created too? 

0 votes
Fabio Turati November 3, 2016

In JIRA 6.4.13 there is no "Classic project type", but there's an option called "JIRA Default Schemes" which seems to be equivalent. I've just created a project with it, and for all the Issue Types the workflow is "jira", the field configuration is "Default Field Configuration" and the screen scheme is almost always the "Default Screen Scheme". I haven't understood the logic by which other screen schemes have been chosen for some Issue Types, but it doesn't matter. What matters is that it hasn't created anything, so I don't have to delete anything.

Sure, I still have to reassign all the Issue Types to the correct schemes. Frankly I'd prefer to be able to create a project this is completely empty, but it looks like there's no way to do it.

0 votes
kconti April 5, 2016

Upgraded to 7.1.2...where is CLASSIC ????

0 votes
Marcel J. Wüstner November 19, 2015

I think in JIRA Software (7.02) there is no "classic project type" anymore. 

Suggest an answer