Create new issue based on custom field value selected during issue creation?

Jason Chung November 10, 2013

Hi,

I have a custom field with multiple choices and I would like to automate the creation of 1 or more sub-tasks based on the selections the user will make while creating his new issue. Ex: Custom Field says select environments to test (1-DEV, 2-TEST, 3-STAGE, 4-PROD). User select 1 and 2 and creates his new issue. I would like to automatically spawn 2 new sub tasks attached to this new issue having titles SubTask1 - Test environment DEV, and SubTask2 - Test environment TEST

Is this possible using standard Jira functionality? If not, is it possible in any other way, example using the Dev tools? Also, does anyone know of a third party solution that does this?

Thanks,

Jason

1 answer

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2013

No, not part of standard JIRA. You need a workflow post function like provided by Create on Transition Plugin for JIRA. Here are some other related references

1. How to create subtasks on initial issue create
  2. How to create multiple issues
  3. How to create multiple issues - advanced example
Wade Sturman June 21, 2019

hey Bob Swift! I'm trying this on a custom field with your add-on, but I'm having trouble getting it added. I'm trying to add multiple issues based on this custom field:

Name: Location

Type: Select List (multiple choices)

• In create multiple issues, here is what i've tried.
    • %original_<Location>%
    • original_<Location>

Can you help me out? Based on this documentation (https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/CSOT/pages/36307066/Substitution+variables), i would think that one of the above should work. 

Thank you!

Suggest an answer