Create linked stories within epic

Manny January 6, 2022

Hello, 

I'm trying to create an automation rule within Jira Cloud to create linked stories with an epic but in a particular way. 

If I have an epic and once that epic is assigned it creates a linked story with a status of "In Progress"  Once a user changes the status of that linked story to status "Done" I want another linked story created under the same epic with a different name and once a user changes the status of that story to "Done", then create another linked story to the epic. again. 

Any chance this can be done using Jira Automation ? 

Thank you 

Manny 

1 answer

0 votes
Yatika Manchanda
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2022

Hi @Manny 

In your scenario, can there be multiple stories which are in the "In Progress" status and linked to the same epic ?

Manny January 8, 2022

Only one linked story within the epic can be in the “In progress” state at any given time. 

Below is the automation which I’m looking to accomplish. Just using adobe reader as an example. 

you have an epic with a name of “adobe reader 1.1” in the “ready to work” status. When the epic is assigned manually, then jira automatically creates a linked story called “Info gathering of adobe reader 1.1” under the status “ready to work” and when this story is manually assigned, then the story goes to the “in progress” status automatically. Then when this story is manually changed to status “done” then jira automatically creates another linked story within the same epic, called “automation of adobe reader 1.1, under the status “ready to work” and when this story is manually assigned, then the story goes to the “in progress” status automatically and then when this story’s status is manually changed to “done”, then Jira automatically creates another linked story called “UAT of adobe reader 1.1 under the status “ready to Work” and when this story is manually assigned, then the story goes to the “in progress” status automatically and then when this stories status is manually changed to “done” then jira changes the epic to “done” status and this completes the process for this application.

I hope this help you with a better idea of what I’m looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Manny

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events