Create issue should open ticket automatically

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2012

After clicking the "Create Issue" link, the "Create Issue" dialog appears and I fill out some fields and hit "Create."

DESIRED BEHAVIOR: The newly created issue ticket should be opened and displayed.

ACTUAL BEHAVIOR: Whatever window I was previously in is displayed again (along with a small banner reading "new issue successfully created").

The problem with the current behavior is that, more than once I've created a new issue and clicked Create, and then (wanting to update it immediately), pressed the Edit button and changed some fields mistakenly thinking that I was editing the new issue, when in fact I was editing the ticket that just happened to be have been displayed before I hit the Create Issue link.

Is there any way to customize the workflow, so that newly created tickets are automatically opened?

UPDATE: This appears to be a common complaint: Here's a duplicate question.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jeison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 8, 2012

Hey Kevin,

Have a look at this page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+an+Issue

There are some comments at the bottom, on how to customize a JS file to accomplish that.

Hope it helps.

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2012

looks promising (though more invasive than I'd hoped), but unfortunately I can't seem to get it to work. (My javascript skills are fairly rudimentary and I can't get any changes to have any effect).

Like Jack Jackson likes this
Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2012

I had to read through ALL the comments to find the solution, (and install Firefox plus Firebug), but eventually I got it to work for me. Thanks for the link!

Jeison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2012

Glad it worked eventually, Kevin.

4 votes
Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2014

UPDATE!! This feature is now available as a plugin: Issue Quick Start
works up through JIRA 7

Michael Maertin December 23, 2015

thx!

Darcy Stuart February 16, 2016

This doesn't seem to be working anymore as of JIRA 7.1

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 2, 2016

@Darcy Stuart: Andrew Heald has released a new version of his Quick Start plugin. I have installed it on JIRA 7.0 and it works perfectly. Give it a try!

Darcy Stuart March 3, 2016

@Kevin Mote Thanks for the heads up! You've made our service desk team very happy.

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2016

@Darcy Stuart: Credit Andrew Heald. He worked on this all weekend (pro bono!)

WolfgangW June 29, 2016

Installed it on JIRA Software 7.1.7 and it mysteriously didn't work for the first two tries but it works now. It loads the new issue in about 1 sec after the fly-in notification dissapears. I am falling over with joy. Thanks to @Kevin Mote and even more thanks to @Andrew Heald!

Steve November 3, 2022

@Kevin Motethat link is dead, sadly.   Do you know if there is a present solution for this?  Thanks.

1 vote
Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2014

Here's my final solution, for others who may need this: (tested on v.5.1.3)

create a new subfolder and javascript file on server: <tt>INSTALL\atlassian-jira\atlassian-jira\includes\js\custom\custom.js</tt>

• Add the following code in custom.js:
    jQuery(document).ready(function($){
    if (JIRA && JIRA.Forms) {	
      JIRA.Forms.UnconfigurableCreateIssueForm = JIRA.Forms.UnconfigurableCreateIssueForm.extend({	
       handleSubmitSuccess: function(A){	
         console.log(A); //A is the variable assigned to the asynchronous action's response
         if (this.helper.getCreateAnotherCheckbox().is(":checked")) {	
           this.helper.handleSubmitSuccess(A);
         } else {	     
           window.location = '/browse/' + A.issueKey;}}});}});

• then edit this file: <tt>INSTALL\atlassian-jira\includes\decorators\aui-layout\head-resources.jsp</tt>
  • inserting this line at the end:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/includes/js/custom/custom.js"></script>
0 votes
Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 2, 2016

As I mentioned in my answer below, there is now a fantastic plugin that provides this functionality.

Suggest an answer