Create issue post function HELP PLEASE!!!!

Bruno Farace February 5, 2021

Hi everyone!

!!!!Calling all Jira enthusiasts!!!!
I really need help with a topic I have been stuck on for WEEEEKS! 

Context

I have a request to set up an email to ticket function on Jira which I have completed.
(The email is sent from a company email address: Billing-finance@XXXX.XXX)

This has been set up so that the reporter of the ticket is the requester who sent the email to above address.

So now my problem:

How can I configure the post function of CREATE ISSUE to update the following fields with specific values:

• Labels
  • Components

This needs to be done ONLY when the ticket is created via the email automation

What have i tried?

Creating a post function with following criteria:

• Update Any Issue Field (JSU) Function for this transition
    • Precondition True
    • Update field: within same issue
    • Perform as user: Billing-finance@XXXX.XXX
    • Issue field: Labels & Components
    • Field value: [as requested]

Outcome

After configuring this the desired fields are indeed updated BUT this happens when ANY user creates an issue.

---

This topic is starting to make me go a bit crazy and I would be so grateful if anyone out there could put me out of my misery.

Many thanks in advance!!!

4 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2021

You can’t do this with a PF. You would need some from of automation addon or scripting addon. Unless server has some new means I’m unaware of.

0 votes
Manuel Galván February 7, 2021

You can use scriptrunner email handler to inform a customfield (for example origin = mail) and use this field in post function conditions

Jennifer Flinn July 16, 2021

You can also use the ScriptRunner email handler to set the component and label on issue creation (without having to add anything to the workflow post-functions).

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2021

Do I get it correctly that

email is sent from a company email address: Billing-finance@

is the mailbox on your customers/partner side which is mapped to the same named reporter in your instance?
Assuming this I am just wondering if it would not work out if you replace

Perform as user: Billing-finance@XXXX.XXX with the reporter set to Billing-finance@XXXX.XXX

My assumption is that the logic with your settings is executed with the user you mention but _applies_ to all issues.
With the reporter as the criteria it would have more logic for me but it could be wrong.

0 votes
Matt Tsugawa February 5, 2021

The behavior you described is what I'd expect to happen. As Jack stated, you need an addon app for that. I have used this one and it will do what you want by installing the features you were looking for in the places you expected. Note that I am not affiliated with this addon company in any way.
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/292/jira-misc-workflow-extensions-jmwe?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Suggest an answer