Create different Issue Types based on Email Subject Content

Romy Meyers February 27, 2020

Is there a way to set an ISSUE TYPE by parsing content from an incoming email in jira service desk. Example - I want to set the issue type to incident if the subject contains 'incident' otherwise i want to set it to something else based on the subject line. I know that when you add the issue # to the subject line, the email is appended to the issue. So I was hoping to CREATE a specific issue type based on what the subject line contains. 

1 answer

0 votes
Alexander Ling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2020

Hello!

This is not possible without any plugins. From my perspective the easiest way to achieve this would be to use the plugin "Email this issue" where you can set up mail accounts and custom mail handlers in which you can specifiy different issue types / customer request types depending on the subject of the email (or sender address, information in body and much more).

It is also possible to do it with some scripts, but it's more difficult and is much harder to maintain. So I would recommend getting Email this issue if you dont have it yet.

I hope that this answer gave you some clarity in how you can solve your issue. :-)

Best regards,

Alexander

Romy Meyers February 27, 2020

thanks so much Alexander! We will give this a try. Much appreciated on your quick response. 

Like Alexander Ling likes this

Suggest an answer