It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Create board permission

Hello there,

Is it possible to restrict the creation of boards in the current version of Jira Cloud?  I need to control who can create boards on our projects. Any workaround may help.

Thanks a lot!

Jesús

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tyler Brown Community Leader May 07, 2018

Hey Jesus,

It is possible to control who can create a board.

You'll need to navigate to Global Permissions and edit the "Create Shared Objects" permission to only include the group of users that you would like to create dashboards.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/managing-global-permissions-861253290.html?_ga=2.188272557.440258858.1525704700-1704423510.1524584199

This does also affect who can share filters globally as well.

Hope this helps,

Tyler

Hi Tyler, 

Thanks for your reply! Thanks to @Scott Theus too!

I believe this solution could apply to Jira Server instances, but I am using a Cloud instance. When I navigate to Global Permissions section, these are the permissions I can edit (visit this link for more info):

Administer Jira
Browse users and groups
Share dashboards and filters
Manage group filter subscriptions
Make bulk changes
Create independent projects

I tried changing Share dashboards and filters permissions, but it doesn't seem to affect the ability to create boards.

Any other options?

Jesús

Like Contour Plug In likes this
Tyler Brown Community Leader May 08, 2018

Hey Jesus,

Not that I know of.  If it helps the "Share Dashboards and Filters" should stop users from being able to sharing boards (as they can't share their filters).

Sorry I couldn't help more,

Tyler

Hi @Jesús Jorge Muñoz 

Were you able to achieve board restriction on Jira cloud? I did check and found that 'Create shared objects' is not available on Jira cloud version. ant alternative ?

Thanks,

Vijay

Ahh, That is a shame. We are also after being able to restrict this but just on a particular project due to a specific requirement. Shame it can't be done on cloud at the project level. 

1 vote
Scott Theus Community Leader May 07, 2018

I believe there is a global permission called "Create Shared Objects" that will restrict who can create boards. For more information check out the documentation here"

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/permissions-overview-764478244.html

-Scott

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

261 views 1 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you