Create board permission

Jesús Jorge Muñoz May 7, 2018

Hello there,

Is it possible to restrict the creation of boards in the current version of Jira Cloud?  I need to control who can create boards on our projects. Any workaround may help.

Thanks a lot!

Jesús

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2018

Hey Jesus,

It is possible to control who can create a board.

You'll need to navigate to Global Permissions and edit the "Create Shared Objects" permission to only include the group of users that you would like to create dashboards.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/managing-global-permissions-861253290.html?_ga=2.188272557.440258858.1525704700-1704423510.1524584199

This does also affect who can share filters globally as well.

Hope this helps,

Tyler

Jesús Jorge Muñoz May 8, 2018

Hi Tyler, 

Thanks for your reply! Thanks to @Scott Theus too!

I believe this solution could apply to Jira Server instances, but I am using a Cloud instance. When I navigate to Global Permissions section, these are the permissions I can edit (visit this link for more info):

Administer Jira
Browse users and groups
Share dashboards and filters
Manage group filter subscriptions
Make bulk changes
Create independent projects

I tried changing Share dashboards and filters permissions, but it doesn't seem to affect the ability to create boards.

Any other options?

Jesús

Like # people like this
Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2018

Hey Jesus,

Not that I know of.  If it helps the "Share Dashboards and Filters" should stop users from being able to sharing boards (as they can't share their filters).

Sorry I couldn't help more,

Tyler

Like vasanth likes this
M Vijay Kumar March 26, 2019

Hi @Jesús Jorge Muñoz 

Were you able to achieve board restriction on Jira cloud? I did check and found that 'Create shared objects' is not available on Jira cloud version. ant alternative ?

Thanks,

Vijay

David September 26, 2019

Ahh, That is a shame. We are also after being able to restrict this but just on a particular project due to a specific requirement. Shame it can't be done on cloud at the project level. 

Kiichi Takeuchi January 15, 2020

I can not find Create Shared Object in JIRA cloud. How can we do this in cloud?

Like Matt M. likes this
Matt M. April 30, 2020

Following

fobrutsky June 2, 2022

Create Board and Create Dashboard is not the same ... the Create Shared Objects  permission applies to the Dashboards only 

Like Dave Mathijs likes this
Like vasanth likes this
1 vote
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2018

I believe there is a global permission called "Create Shared Objects" that will restrict who can create boards. For more information check out the documentation here"

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/permissions-overview-764478244.html

-Scott

0 votes
Ilya Smirnov November 19, 2019

For Jira server you can use cratch, insert this JS code in your anoncment banner

<script type="text/javascript">
document.addEventListener("DOMContentLoaded", function() {
if
( !window.JIRA.isAdmin() ) { let boards_button = document.querySelector('#ghx-create-boards-btn'); if( boards_button ) { boards_button.remove(); } }
});
</script>

So only admins will see button to create new boards

Michael Mueller February 27, 2020

Is there a solution for Jira cloud?

Suggest an answer