Create an issue in a different project when an issue is resolved

Saman Samy SAREM November 20, 2017

Hello,

I'm pretty new to JIRA, and wanted to know if there is an easy (or so) way to automatically create and link a new issue in a different project when a task/story is transitioned to a resolved state. 

Additionally, when the new item created and linked to the original task/story is closed, I would like to change the original issue's status (or custom field) from "Pending QA" to "QA Approved".

I have seen different plugins to allow automation (ScriptRunner and automation for Jira for example). Do these behaviors require such add-ons, and if yes could you please point out to some links which could help me create them ?

The context is the following: our development team work in multiple Scrum projects, however our QA works in a Kanban board. When a story or task is done by the development team, we want to let the QA team know that the item needs to be tested. I am also open to other suggestions as to how to handle this scenario in a different way.

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2017

Hello,

You could use Automation for Jira addon. You would have to create a rule which would trigger on issue transition. Then you would check that the status is Resolved and add two actions: create an issue and transition issue. You would need a Pro version of this addon.

You can read more here

https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/AUTO4J/pages

Saman Samy SAREM November 24, 2017

Thank you, I played around with Automation for Jira and managed to make it work !

It's a nice tool. 

I am currently trying to find a way to do the second step of our ideal process, which is to update the parent issue's (dev task) status when the child issue (QA task) is transitioned to a resolved state.

Would you have any hint as to how this could be done ? It does not seem like this would be doable using Automation for Jira...

Suggest an answer