Create a ticket directly on the kanban board

Sergey Evstifeev February 26, 2019

I have a Kanban board and sometimes there is a need to quickly create an issue without going through the whole process of "put in the backlog -> prioritise/refine/etc -> put in todo". Basically, a small task pops up and it needs to be done, so I want to create an issue directly in the "To Do" section of the board. Ideally I want something similar to the way one would do it in Trello - click a button, write description, press enter, and that's it. Currently the only way I found to do it is to:

1. open the "Create Issue" dialog.
  2. write ticket title, press "Create".
  3. switch to the "Backlog" view.
  4. search for the ticket title, right-click "Send to -> To Do".

Is there a way to accomplish the same with fewer steps, preferably without leaving the kanban board page?

3 answers

3 votes
chadd May 2, 2021

Next-gen projects provide a button to create a cards directly within a Kanban board's swimlane.  I think this is a great touch, and I wish that Classic projects provided this as well.  Note that this button is not shown if the board is a sprint. 

There's a ticket for classic support of this workflow here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17042

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 2.57.27 PM.png

3 votes
Hector
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2019

Hi @Sergey Evstifeev , 

That could be done but you would need to use some scripting using one of the few add-ons that extends Jira.

In the hand, what is the point of having a Kanban board with Backlog to plan activities and not using it? Somehow at one point of time you/someone decided that was needed a backlog, and now you would like to define the exception? My recommendation here is then to switch off the backlog view and use the direct creation link to quickly create a new issue (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/creating-issues-via-direct-html-links-159474.html). You could place the link on the project side bar, or even on the top, etc.

Hope it helps,

Zulrang April 27, 2020

Because sometimes urgent, important things come up that must be done now, and it would be nice to track said things without wasting time to put it on the current board.

Like # people like this
jonatan.pettersson June 4, 2020

Is it really that hard to understand that there are exceptions to putting a ticket at the bottom of the backlog? Why even ask that question?

Hector
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2020

Exceptions are exceptions, and that's why the user can make use of the big blue Create button that is always available.. furthermore accessible with a simple keyboard action that is just "c" :)

jonatan.pettersson November 4, 2020

I guess you missed the point that the "big blue Create button" does not allow you to choose where to put the ticket.

Any urgent tasks that need to go elsewhere than the very bottom requires an extra step of finding the issue and then moving it up.

Hector
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 4, 2020

Indeed, the fast-track transition is an extra step to either automate with Scriptrunner (or any other) for this type of urgent small issues w/o the involvement of a person, but again, that breaks any protocol the team has already in place that has already a purpose.

So, to complete my original response, I see more efficient to create a specific issue type with a shorten workflow that can be already placed in the right status (ideally second stage of the normal workflow) in the kanban board w/o the need of passing thru the backlog status. Being a different issueType it can be highlighted in the board or being placed at the top for having easy visibility, etc..

lucadesimoni February 24, 2021

would be very helpful indeed

1 vote
Marcel Douwstra August 5, 2022

This is an older topic but would also like this. The fastest I can do now is create the ticket, then click the confirmation popup that takes me to the ticket so I can move it to "in progress" there.

It is a bit weird that the agile board allows this (you can create a ticket and immediately place it in a sprint) but kanban does not.

Suggest an answer