Create a substask in new Jira format

Michael Costa
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 8, 2019

The only option I have for creating a subtask now is that icon below the task title (checkbox-y looking thing). When I use that, it only allows me to put in a subject and assigns it to a default users. This is very problematic since I have to then edit each one to reassign to the correct person rather than defining it when I create the subtasks. It also adds more clicks to be able to add the description and attachments. PLEASE tell me there is a better solution than this!!!!!!!!!!!

Jira Create Subtask Missing.JPG

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2019

Hi @Michael Costa 

The auto assign of the sub-task is coming from your set up. Your Jira Admin has a rule set which does that, it isn't standard Jira behaviour.

As for only entering the summary, I think the thought process is that you may want to be creating a few sub-tasks, so add them just with the summary, then go back afterwards to put in the detail. If you do enter the summary, then click Create, it is there immediately for you to open and add details.

I appreciate that this may not be your ideal way of working, but try it for a little while and you may get used to it.

Sara Chieco
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 26, 2019

This is a TERRIBLE answer! It's more clicks! So even if someone does want to do it that way, WHY remove the ability to create a full subtask? IT MAKES NO SENSE. Yet another completely crummy UX decision made in a product that causes the user to click MORE times each new release. Not fewer.

Suggest an answer