It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Create a field only display words information.

Hi All,

I want to create a field that only displays text. User are unable to modify and edit this content. It looks like term and contact.

Could you help me how to create this simple field?

2 answers

0 votes
Joe Pitt Community Leader Sep 26, 2019

I presume you want it on the create screen so they can read it while entering the issue, correct? If so you'll need to use a plugin. There are some in the marketplace. One is JIRA toolkit. If you just want it on the detail screen you can create a custom text field and only put it on the view screen. It will be displayed in the detail view but can't be edited. 

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply.

I had a screenshot for you. From the user side, when they want to create a ticket they will fill some detail on the table.

For my request, I'm looking for a field which I can set up some default value presented to the user. This field is read-only and not able to modify. 

12.png

Joe Pitt Community Leader Sep 26, 2019

As @Nic Brough {Adaptavist} said you will need a plugin. 

0 votes

I usually use the "message fields" from the Toolkit app to do this.  In plain Jira, there is no function that does this properly.

Hi Nic ,

Is it this one?

I have been installing JIRA Toolkit Plugin.

2019-09-26 23_26_02-Manage apps - ODL Service Desk.png

Yes, that's correct. 

You need the "for view" message field if you want it to appear on issue view, but the "for edit" version for your message to appear on create, edit or transition screens.

Hi Nic,

I had add both field in my project. Could you tell me how to set up default message which user can see it before they click send.

I had try to configure the default field like following but it only show after user click send button.

030.png

I hope it can show on this page and user cannot modify it.

040.png

Thanks for your help.

Waiting for your reply.

It looks like you are setting up the field correctly in your first screenshot, but the second screenshot shows a text field, not a message field, which suggests you have added the wrong type of field.

Could you check the list of custom fields and make sure of the field type?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

972 views 10 25
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you